• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • annunaki
    • Jan 2008
    • White Springs, Florida
    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Hail Vinegar

I remember it being used in the Navy to clean table tops etc.
    I have used vinegar at home kitchen cleaning.

But I never suspected its wonders at rust removal.

I found an old long lost small hand vise- 'bout 4", two arms connected to a pivot point with small facing jaws at the other ends, with a flat spring band between controlled by a bolt and wing nut.

Well after years exposed to the elements, it was a mass of rust and looked like a goner. Watched some youtube vids using 12 volts and rods for rust removal and decided they were more trouble than it was worth.
    Then I thought of vinegar and figured- why not try it. So i placed it in a plastic recycled tray some mushrooms came in and poured in white distilled vinegar to cover. I forgot about it for a week, until today. It looked like a tray of black/brown coffee water. So I poured out the swill and could not believe what I saw. 99% of the rust was gone, the jaws opened, the wing nut turned effortlessly, the band spring worked. It now sits in a fresh vinegar bath for fine cleaning.

So simple- Hail Vinegar ! ! !
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Never would have thought of using vinegar to dissolve rust. I still prefer the idea of electrolysis for cleaning major rust, but this idea would be handy for nuts and bolts when I start the rebuild on my '65 Chevy.

I'll have to try it against a bath in Ospho and see how they hold against rusting again. Ospho leaves a black color from the chemical reaction to the rust.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by annunaki
      Watched some youtube vids using 12 volts and rods for rust removal and decided they were more trouble than it was worth.
      The benefits of the electrolysis method are that it is faster, it removes all the rust, and it does not remove good metal, only the rust. I use electrolysis for planes, chisels, etc. with excellent results.

It probably sounds like more trouble than it really is. What I do is throw 1/3 of a cup of washing soda in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with hot water, wire the part and an electrode (just a piece of fence wire) to the battery charger, and turn it on. Takes maybe 5 minutes to set up, and 2 or 3 hours later I have a rust free part. This assumes of course that the part to be derusted will fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

The problem with larger parts is that it requires a lot of current to derust them in a reasonable period of time. People talk about using an arc welder as a power source to derust car body panels, for example. In my opinion, for casual use electrolysis is not a good option for larger parts. I've tried it, but it takes days or weeks to fully derust a minidozer body with a battery charger, for example. Got one side done and decided to just sand blast it in one afternoon to finish it.

Acid methods - vinegar, naval jelly, molasses etc. - remove the rust but also remove good metal. The acid reacts faster on the rust, so unless the part is left in the acid too long or is a thin part like a sheet metal part, the damage is minimal and often is acceptable.

A third option is chemical rust removers such as Evaporust. They chemically remove the rust but don't react with the base metal. They are nearly as fast as electrolysis, and some like Evaporust are relatively safe to use. This is a good option for smaller parts, but larger parts may require so much of the remover that cost becomes prohibitive.

FWIW, commercial facilities to derust car body panels, etc. generally use the electrolysis method.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

I tried the electrolysis method and

found it to work great. Used five tbs. of laundry soda in ~3 gallons of water and set the voltage to 12. In about 5 hours all the rust was gone from the hand shears that were rusted big time. LOML said to try vinegar at first, but I didn't leave it in that solution but for about 3 or so hours, and the rust was still there. That's why I built the electrolysis bath. But I am going to try that vinegar solution with some old and rusted sockets that I have; will leave it set for a few days thou. When I tried the electrical bath on the sockets, it cleaned the out side really nicely, but the inside of each socket was still rusted for some reason. Thanks for sharing that with us on the vigenar bath.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by RAFlorida
          When I tried the electrical bath on the sockets, it cleaned the out side really nicely, but the inside of each socket was still rusted for some reason.
          People claim that the electrolysis process is "line of sight", but there seems to be some disagreement about that.

When I derust items like a socket that has an "inside", I put another electrode down inside the object, and that seems to work. I just use a piece of bailing wire as an electrode, but make sure it doesn't touch the piece to be derusted.

Just as a precaution, don't used stainless steel as an electrode, it released toxic chemicals during electrolysis. Remember also that the piece to be derusted is the cathode and should be connected to the negative side of the power source.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Vinegar and salt are used together, if you have time. If your more in a hurry, or it has stuff like Chrome or vinyl handles, etc. Evaporust is a better choice.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• annunaki
              • Jan 2008
              • White Springs, Florida

"Vinegar and salt are used together, if you have time"

So if I had added salt to the vinegar it would have improved the process?

Any other additives for the vinegar?

Comment

• jaybee
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Regina, SK, Canada
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Pappy
                rusting again.
                Try fluid film on all parts. see:

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

A friend of mine who makes wine will not agree with the title of your thread - at least not the spelling.
                  Richard

Comment

• annunaki
                    • Jan 2008
                    • White Springs, Florida

What Spelling do you think it should be?

Hail (disambiguation)
                    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    Jump to: navigation, search
                    Look up hail in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

Hail is a form of frozen precipitation. It may also refer to:

A greeting.
                    Ha'il, a city in Saudi Arabia
                    Ha'il Province, in Saudi Arabia
                    Hail, Kentucky, a community in the United States
                    Hail Mary, a traditional Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox prayer calling for the intercession of Mary, the mother of Jesus
                    the Collatz conjecture, aka "hailstone problem", a mathematical problem in number theory
                    Highways Agency Information Line in England
                    Hydro Acoustic Information Link, manufactured by L-3 Nautronix
                    Honeywell Automation India Limited
                    Hail Satan, an expression
                    Hail (band), an indie/punk band
                    Hail (wrestler), professional wrestler Emory Hail, usually billed simply as "Hail"

Disambiguation icon This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.

Vinegar
                    Jump to: navigation, search
                    A variety of flavoured vinegars on sale in France (bottom rows)

Vinegar is a liquid consisting mainly of acetic acid (CH3COOH) and water. The acetic acid is produced by the fermentation of ethanol by acetic acid bacteria.[1] Vinegar is now mainly used as a cooking ingredient, but historically, as the most easily available mild acid, it had a great variety of industrial, medical, and domestic uses, some of which (such as a general household cleanser) are still promoted today.

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by annunaki
                      Hail (disambiguation)
                      A greeting.

Vinegar
                      Vinegar is a liquid consisting mainly of acetic acid (CH3COOH) and water. The acetic acid is produced by the fermentation of ethanol by acetic acid bacteria.[1] Vinegar is now mainly used as a cooking ingredient, but historically, as the most easily available mild acid, it had a great variety of industrial, medical, and domestic uses, some of which (such as a general household cleanser) are still promoted today.
                      Sorry, my jokes are falling flat lately. Since my friend is making wine, the last thing he wants to smell or taste is vinegar. If the ethanol in the wine is exposed to acetobacter for a time in the presence of oxygen, the ethanol can turn to acetic acid and will have produced vinegar (according to some definitions). Therefore, his proclamation would not be a good one (as yours was) and he would spell your word "hail" in a different way and put an exclamation point after it. And he would also put an exclamation point after "Vinegar" since he was expecting wine.

I apologize if I have offended for I have found this thread to be fascinating and I am going to try the vinegar technique myself.
                      Richard

Comment

• annunaki
                        • Jan 2008
                        • White Springs, Florida

No Offense taken. I was just confused.

Comment

Working...