Happy Father's Day - What did he teach you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • massanutten
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

Happy Father's Day - What did he teach you?

There are so many things when I think about it of what my Dad taught me. What I use every day is that he taught me was taking pride in your work and taking time to help others in need.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Before a second stroke forced him to retire on disability, my Dad was an insurance agent. He had seniority and was consistently one of the top company agents in the region. This was in the 50's and my Dad, by choice, worked the 'colored' debit. he was one of very few white men that could go into the east side of town at night and be safe.

These experiences taught me 2 lessons.

First is to treat people as individuals, not a group, with dignity and respect. For those of us that grew up in those times, especially in the south, this was not the normal attitude from either side of the race issue.

The second lesson was to not give up. Therapy and rehab for stroke victims was almost nonexistent then and after the second stroke he was told he would be partially paralyzed down his left side. To him this was not an acceptable prognosis. When he was awake he was constantly massaging his left side with his good arm. My Mother worried that he would cause more harm but the doctors said while it wouldn't help much, it would not cause any damage. After a few months he had almost complete use of his left arm and was waking without a cane and only a very slight limp. This 'disabled and paralyzed' man was able to teach me to pitch (He had played semi-pro ball) and sting my hand through a catcher's mitt when he demonstrated a pitch.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Among many things, honesty, and the difference between right and wrong. The decisions I'll make in life I'm responsible for.

Never be a quitter.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

My Dad! I learned so much from my Dad that I find it hard to tell of one thing or even a few. Perhaps the most important thing was that every man had a responsibility.... to his family, to his neighbors, to his country, and perhaps most, to himself to live up to a certain code which covered all those responsibilities.

Along with that came a set of skills. One needed to "do thing for himself" where ever they could. It wasn't just about being independant, but it was also about being "a man", my father put it.

A veteran of WWII, he had grew up in the depression, and his father had passed away when he was only twelve. My Dad was very sensitive to other kids without fathers or who had lousey fathers.

Dad's are important to growing up and being a good man,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

If you want something, work hard at it. You may not have everything your neighbour has, but at least you can say it is yours!
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• schloff
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Southern Middle TN
            • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

My Dad taught me not to stack the dirty dishes, or you'll have to wash the bottoms, too.
            My Dad was a genius. He was always good for a corny joke, he knew (and probably wrote) most of them.

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

What first comes to mind is I can make a bunk tight enough to bounce a dime off of, and I know how to pack a wool suit in a duffel bag so it comes out unwrinkled.

And some really "colorful" phrases.

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by gsmittle
                What first comes to mind is I can make a bunk tight enough to bounce a dime off of, and I know how to pack a wool suit in a duffel bag so it comes out unwrinkled.

And some really "colorful" phrases.

g.
                You need to get the air out.

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                  Established Member
                  • May 2009
                  • Greenbush Maine
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Tenacity

He taught me to never give up. I saw him go from "borrowing power" in an RV on an abandoned lot to being close to a millionaire in 20 years.
                  He also taught me to do things for myself, I have never asked him for help beyond some garage time to assist with some work I have never done before, he showed me that anyone can make it on their own.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

He taught me the love of building things with your own two hands, the love of the smell of fresh cut lumber, how to respect power tools (especially the RAS), and what to say (or not) when you hit your thumb with a hammer.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

A good day's work for a day's wages.

In word, I never heard him speak disparagingly of any race or religion though he didn't frequent a church until after retirement.

Don't throw it away unless you can't fix it.

Treat your mother or for that matter any woman with respect and cordiality.

Always be pleasant. Others aren't responsible for your problems and they have problems of their own. They might not hear
                      another kind word all day.
                      Last edited by ironhat; 06-16-2013, 10:48 PM. Reason: enter more info
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

Working...