• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Use it or sell it??

I was looking for cedar pricing for a potential garden bench for LOML this morning. Box store pricing would be about $50, and a 90 minute round trip minimum. Local lumber yard (about 8 stores) listed no prices on their web site, but had a Clearance list. Scrolled down the page with nothing really jumping out at me, when I noticed 5/4 x 6 Ipe decking at their second closest store. 15 pieces @ 10' each, 1 @ 8', and 6 @ 12' each for $175.

I called the store, talked to the manager. Was ordered 2 years ago for a beach house and never picked up. Stored in the main store building, he needs the space and listed it this morning. No charge to deliver. I checked pricing before I called, and $5-$6/linear foot seems to be the norm--so this 230 linear foot bundle would have retailed at about $1,000 or more. I bought it over the phone and it'll be delivered Monday.

Now, we have two entry doors on the side of the house, the "front door" has crumbling concrete steps, and this would be enough to do about a 10' x 8' porch. But, the other porch is 20 year old PT so not so good a match (unless I spring for another grand to re-deck...not gonna happen).

I'm thinking that my choices are to set it aside for a few small outdoor projects, with it being the equivalent of 120 bf it might make for a neat pair of Adirondack chairs--if I can afford the drill bits. The other possibility would be to slap it on CL for $450 or $500 and "settle" for doubling my money.

I need to be able to defend my actions at some point before the truck pulls in the driveway Monday morning--any thoughts??

earl
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Just tell her how much you love her and she is worth whatever the price.
    If that doesn't work, take her out to dinner also.
    If that doesn't work - you are in big trouble.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• wood wrangler
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2009
      • Western Chicago burbs
      • btk3000, with the 3100 shim update

I'd say, think up something you can make her with some of it. My wife's a gardening fiend so my thoughts jump to planting projects... Tiered planter boxes? Planters on wheels? A screening wall with slots cut for small plant boxes to hook onto?

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I would explain to the wife the longevity verses the cost, and use it for the deck, that she approves of.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

I'm going to withhold final decision until I see it, but in doing some math this weekend, I could re-deck the little porch and add the one I need. Despite that, I may test CL and see if I can make a quick buck on it. Might be able to get enough spread to redeck with PT and build the new one for nothing. At 57, if I can get 18-20 years out of PT (current is over 20 years old now)--somebody else can replace it!!

earl

Comment

Working...