X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I had several problems here, chief among them I could not get the rest to lock. I got that taken care of shortly after the picture.

I will be spending the next week or so getting a sharpening jig setup and things put away. Have to decide if that is where the lathe will stay. Also going to make good use of the last bit of MDF and make a shelf and a sandbox to get rid of the chattering.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Now that is what I'm talking about. That is a fine looking lathe. I am setting up my woodworking shop again now and my FIL has the Penn State lathe. I'll use it for woodworking and if I need it longer, they do sell an extension.
      Love to see some pictures of turnings soon.

I think this is the one he has without the light.
      http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC10.html
      Lee

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

I'll be sharing my initial thoughts on it on my blog when I get a few minutes, I'll copy them over here.

I suppose now that discussion has turned from the weight to the tool, could I possibly get a move over to the tool forum? Thanks.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
          You may have solved the mystery of the pyramids.

It wasn't a mystery to me; I was there when they built them.
          Richard

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
            Also going to make good use of the last bit of MDF and make a shelf and a sandbox to get rid of the chattering.
            I put a shelf on my HF Lathe resting it on the leg stretchers. I've found it to be very useful. I also bought one of those magnetic bars from HF (around $5.00) and placed it along the front beyond the tailstock - put the tools (sharp side down) that I'm using on it for easy access. Another useful accessory is a shorter toolrest if you are turning pens or other very small objects.
            Richard

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
              Went back to HF to pick up a shield and the cheap turning set just to get a taste. Very fun, hope to pick up a better set of chisels next week. I can practice sharpening these.

Also need to make some minor adjustments and weigh it down.
              I picked up a set of those just to learn how to sharpen before investing in good tools. They served that purpose very well. However, you will immediately notice the difference when you invest in good tools like Sorby or other good brands.

I put my lathe on a mobile base and put a lower shelf on that base. Sand bags will weigh it down if need-be. However, I haven't had a problem without weights since I have only done between-centers turning. I've read that most vibration occurs when face-plate turning (which I haven't done yet.)
              Richard

Comment

Working...