• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Let's Talk Epoxy (adhesive and casting)

My experience with epoxy is limited to the cheap stuff I get at HF. It seems to work fine for whatever I have used it for, but I know nothing different. I would like to get larger and more convenient dispensers than the little tubes.

What and where do you buy it? What is a good brand? I need it for just generic stuff that regular glue won't work for--metals, plastics, etc.

Also, what about casting epoxy? I have some small items I would love to encase in a clear epoxy. For example, I have a tiny pine cone my daughter gave me when she was really little and I would LOVE to preserve that in a clear cube or similar.
    Joe
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I would be interested in hearing more about casting resins/epoxy as well. I have a 'waiting in the wings' paper weight project that has been on the to do list since about 1989....
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

I've used West Systems and Epotek for years and I like them both. For general use the West Systems is the most practical and easiest to mix if you get the pump kit. Marine suppliers Gougeon Brothers and Jamestown Distributors both have it. The Epotek I get straight from them in Mass. It's high dollar, top of the line stuff for optics, etc.
      Hope this helps,
      Dale
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Carpenter96
        Established Member
        • Aug 2011
        • Barrie ON Canada
        • BT 3000

Epoxy

Hi I have used the West System quite extensifly and it works great IMO. Regards Bob

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I've used E-Bond Epoxy for many years for coating tops. I don't know if they have casting resin. The company is local to me, and convenient.

Comment

• d_meister
            Established Member
            • Feb 2009
            • La Conner, WA.
            • BT3000

Can't beat the convenience of West System, or the shelf life. I have opened containers with the pumps in them stored in a carport for years. One caution though, is that old hardener turns amber and then later, brown. Still works, though. Cured epoxy will also change color over time. For casting, get something formulated for that.
            West System has a wide variety of additives that make it especially useful; from pigments to body filler. In boat building and repair, it's generally thickened when used as an adhesive to fill minor voids and help stay in place. Although it seems thick and syrupy, it'll flow out easily.
            West System has excellent usage guides on line. I don't know if they still advertise the fact, but un-cured epoxy can be cleaned up with regular white vinegar, if you want to save a brush or tool. It can also be used to remove the "Blush" on cured epoxy to apply another coat. Don't clean your hands with it, though, as it will dilute the epoxy to the point where it can be absorbed through the skin

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

For casting, pen turners like a product called crystal clear or something like that. I know I bought a bottle of the stuff at my local woodcraft once, so they may still carry it.

Comment

Working...