• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Apple iMac

LOML and I both have Apple iphone 4S, next year we can upgrade to the iphone 5 or what ever and she has a iPad4 and I have the iPad mini. We are thinking of dumping our Widows desk tops in favor of the iMac 21.5" desk top. We both still want a desktop because of the larger monitor and a full size key board. Me with the mini makes it hard to do some things like paying bilsl on line or typing a letter of post on BT3, old eyes and fingers. Any body have any experience with the iMac line? is there software to convert Word and Excel files to Apple software? It would be nice to have our tech gadgets all compatible with one another and besides I need a new challenge to keep the mind active. I am getting real tired of IE33 or what ever it is. I use Safari on my Ipad and phone and never have problem. I have no desire to move to Window 8. Any opinions would be appreciated. Why does she have the large Ipad and I have the mini, she has a large handbag. Funning this is we were both content with our iphones, Laptops and desktop until I gave here the ipad for Christmas, her laptop is now with on of our Granddaughter's and min is going to either my son or the oldest grandson. LOML would kill is some tried to take he ipad4. She always complained about my sister and her iPad and now she is just as bad as my sister. One positive is she has learned how to use the ipad where she never really learned how to use Windows. She has apps for every thing. Now if she would just cook and clean we would be good. LOL
  • Raffi
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • CA, USA.

Originally posted by TB Roye
    Any body have any experience with the iMac line? is there software to convert Word and Excel files to Apple software? It would be nice to have our tech gadgets all compatible with one another and besides I need a new challenge to keep the mind active.
    Long time Mac consultant/user here. The machines are great, but as a migrating (windows to mac) user you can expect some frustration and a learning curve.

Word and Excel files do not need to be converted, they will open natively on the Mac version of Word and Excel.

If you buy from an Apple store, I believe they will help you migrate your data from your windows machine to the iMac - pictures, music word and excel files.

Be warned that the newest iMac does NOT have a CD/DVD drive, though you can purchase an external for around $80 (less if you buy a third party).

For most users the least expensive iMac is more than enough for everyday tasks.

Make sure you take your iPads and iPhones in to the Apple Store when you buy the iMac, I am fairly certain that there will be a process to convert from windows formatted to mac formatted.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Raffi

Thanks for your opinion. Is the Apple word processor and Spreadsheet Apps on the imac compatible with the Microsoft Office? or do I have buy separate app for that? I was planning on buying the Apple CD/DVD USB Player/burner. I am also planning on going to the store as you suggested to get up to speed. I have also heard that the mini pad is selling better than the full size ipad. Once I start using my mini and how good it was and easy to set up I started thinking about changing over to Apple. The iphone 4s is great but for me(70yrs old) the screen is a little small and I need a stylus for typing on both the phone and Ipad, that is why I was thinking iMac for the desktop. Probably won't be getting for a couple of month have other things to take care of first.

Tom

Comment

• Raffi
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • CA, USA.

Raffi

Is the Apple word processor and Spreadsheet Apps on the imac compatible with the Microsoft Office? or do I have buy separate app for that?

Tom
        Tom,

Yes Pages and Numbers will be able to read Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word spreadsheets. However, I would encourage you to buy the Mac version of Word and Excel for maximum compatibility.

You can get it online for $100

Don't be confused by the version numbers, 2011 is the latest version for Mac.

Raffi

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Thanks again, I will do that. That's all the Microsoft stuff I would need. Do you need Virus protection or is that built in?

Tom

Comment

• Raffi
            Established Member
            • Sep 2003
            • CA, USA.

Do you need Virus protection or is that built in?

Tom
            Heres some bad anecdotal advice:

I manage 20-30 computers that are on the internet constantly and have never run any specific anti viral software, and have never had a viral problem.

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

Originally posted by Raffi
              Heres some bad anecdotal advice:

I manage 20-30 computers that are on the internet constantly and have never run any specific anti viral software, and have never had a viral problem.
              +1 on that. Been using a Mac since 1986 (not the same one). OSX is very good about requiring your password before installing software. I have heard of one piece of malware that gets around that by exploiting Java (I think), but this has been patched for a while now.

Do set up an account for you, your wife, and an extra for troubleshooting. Applications will be visible to you both, but if you like your desktops arranged differently, separate accounts are a lifesaver. My wife's desktop is a giant pile of docs, apps, and aliases, while mine is nice and neat. Saves a bunch of headaches!

g.
              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
              Bill & Ted

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

I have been using an iMac for years and love it. Last year my wife's laptop crashed and I talked her into an Apple laptop and she now is a happy camper.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I will be getting mine first so I can learn. LOML is Digitally and Technically Challenged. So I am her IT guy not going to worry about her desktop. AS long as she has her Email and her Favorites, QVC, and Pintrest she is a happy camper I just dump the pictures she take on her iPhone and Ipad onto her computer once a month and make sure the virus protection is up to date and working. Only reason she get the iMac is because I get one and she will feel left out. Happy wife make a happy husband who can have his hobbies unmolested.

Tom

Comment

• wardprobst
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22811

Went totally Apple in 2011 and have never looked back. One of the best decisions we have ever made. Hope your experience is similar.
                    Dale
                    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

Originally posted by wardprobst
                      Went totally Apple in 2011 and have never looked back. One of the best decisions we have ever made. Hope your experience is similar.
                      Dale
                      Same here.. It just works..
                      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

By the way, if you do need to, You can run different versions of Windows on the Mac too, either native or in virtual. Even virtual is very fast because it takes advantage of the intel processor.

I have been primarily a Mac users since '89 because it was so much easier to do foreign languages such as Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew etc.

That said, here is a good article on the Mac (albiet a notebook) as a Windows PC:
                        A steep drop in PC sales last quarter launched a thousand theories as to what’s wrong with the PC industry. Some said PCs were dead as a category. Some ...

Still, the Mac side, software and eco system are great.
                        Last edited by leehljp; 05-08-2013, 07:58 PM.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Let me ask a stupid question about the Ipad and the Ipad mini. Do they have HDMI out? What about Bluetooh (or a way to use an external keyboard, like a USB one)?

If so, just plugging into your larger monitor and using an external keyboard, may make it easier to use your tablets for those uses.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• TB Roye
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

They don't have HDMI out but do have blue tooth and a blue tooth keyboard. I think there is and adaptor cable so you can use an external monitor and it has 3 USB3 ports. I could use the Blue Tooth Key board with the mini but the after a while the eye strain on these 70 year old eyes gets to me. I can type pretty good with the stylus so a keyboard for the mini is not necessary. For long session I use my Windows Desktop or my Window HP 17 laptop for now. My mini has the ATT LTE data plan that I can use when on a trip like 2 weeks ago while driving to Idaho. LOML driving and me doing Email and web surfing until we ran out of Cell service. I have used UBUNTU on my Windows machine but kinda drifted away from it, a little to geeky at this stage in my life 15 years ago yes now want it simple.

My Son in Idaho has the latest Samsung Galaxy S3 and liked until his new employer gave him the Iphone 5 now he is drifting toward apple and will get a Ipad next week when he goes to Portland for training for new job. This evening while he was at softball game with his daughter and I was here in Sacramento at Karate with other son's daughter we had a good text conversation with him using his iphone 5 and me on my ipad mini at one point I was talking to my wife on the iphone while answering a text from him on my ipad. Told him I am one crazy old man with all these tech toys. The thing found amazing was when I set up my wife Ipad4 how everything on he iphone 4s transfer over to her Ipad with out doing anything and same when I got the mini. All the contacts and internet favorites were transfer without doing really any thing except synchronizing the two items over WIFi. Love the app store and ITunes. Trying to figure out if I can transfer a couple of books and some music over the LOML.s ipad haven't been able to do it yet may have to go to apple store and ask them. one more thing SAFARI hasn't crashed once while IE!0 seem to always have something wrong.

Tom

Tom

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Apple's eco system offers the "Apple TV" which plays movies, picts, etc to the TV. LOML does this all the time. Not sure how it does with the iPad but she does it with her MacBook Air (small thin laptop.) It plays her movies in hi-def VERY clear and sharp on her 60 inch screen.

The latest TVs (Smart TVs) allow playing direct to the TV (my understanding) but we have not tried it.

One (maybe both) Mac Mini's (computer, not iPad) have an HDMI output built in.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...