• Show
Clear All
  • Crockett
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Buffalo, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Cracked Foundation

I just posted a blog about a possible upgrade to my workshop after discovering water. If you'r interested check it out:

have a great weekend!!
    Very sunny and warm in Buffalo!!
    Al
    Last edited by Crockett; 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM.
    Al
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It's a PITA to have to do tear out, but at least you found the crack. Did you figure out what caused it? You sure don't want that to re-occur.

In one of my homes, I had a picture window next to a brick fireplace. Every time it rained, a puddle of water would collect in that area. I called in an "expert" to find the cause, and the determination was a problem due to hydro pressure. Water below the foundation forcing itself through the floor. His fix was to break out the floor and restructure the foundation with concrete under pressure...about $5K. I had a poured concrete foundation, and a terazzo floor. It seemed unlikely that it was hydro pressure.

So, the next time it rained hard and I saw water starting to collect, I got a flashlight and kept shining it all around the window and edge of the fireplace. Lo and behold, I saw a tiny leak along the window jamb where the metal for the window framing was attached to the block wall. The water would run down the edge and onto the brick, and then to the floor. The brick was a white brick with the sparkle type finish, so when wet it wasn't noticeable.

My simple fix was to go outside and recaulk the window frame.

Comment

• Crockett
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Buffalo, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

What we discovered Cabman was that it was patched once before. It must have been an issue years ago for the original owner before he put the ceiling and paneling up. We found the crack on the outside of the house also and patched that up. It started from the corner of a basement window and worked it's way down.

Luckily I didn't call in anyone at that point to give me a $5K "solution". Very good thing you did your own investigation!
      Al

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by Crockett
        Very good thing you did your own investigation!
        Yeah it was. I got an attaboy from LOML.

BTW...Some of my most care free years were spent in the North Park Area.

Comment

Working...