X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Using Paypal internationally / certified mail

I posted some stuff for sale and someone from Canada responded. I want to use paypal but have never done an international transaction. When they put in the amount do they first need to covert what the amount will be and put it in Canadian dollars? Or is there a way you can put the amount US dollars?

Also what type of form do you use so I can track the package online. Usually I just get it certified but I know certified mail is domestic only.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

If your price is in US dollars, Paypal will do that automatically for them. I ship packages all over the World and I always use Priority Mail International.
    Some countries are better than others at tracking. Canada is hit and miss sometimes. May depend on where it's actually going. Some guys up there have to have a drop box because nobody will deliver where they live.
    Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

FYI, US postal tracking information, stops at the border. Then you need to use that tracking number on the Canadian postal site. I don't know if they always track them or not, but I did send one package up there, and that was how I knew it was delivered.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• aiyou
        SawdustZone Patron
        • Mar 2006
        • Charlotte, NC
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
        FYI, US postal tracking information, stops at the border. Then you need to use that tracking number on the Canadian postal site. I don't know if they always track them or not, but I did send one package up there, and that was how I knew it was delivered.
        In shipping items via First Class International for t-nuts, even the domestic portion of the tracking is hit-or-miss. I do what I can to have the counter staff physically scan the parcels.

I've been told that there is different types of equipment, and depending on what machine the parcel goes through, it may or may not track first-class items. With the latest price increase, I did see that enhanced tracking is now included with shipments to Canada, but I've had less than consistent results.

I've also been told by postal staff that the small flat rate international parcels are also treated as first class when it comes to tracking, so again, hit-or-miss.

Shipping times seem to average about 10 business days, regardless of how close the destination is from my shipping point (Sacramento).

With all that said, even with the latest price increases for international mail, it is still the best value for the money.

Rob

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Do shipping sizes and weight to Canada vary from what's allowed in the U.S. by different carriers?

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

No. Not really. You can ship Flat Rate Boxes through Priority mail anywhere as far as I know. I haven't shipped everywhere yet, but about 20 countries so far.

The USPS does have a weight limit though I think. Never had a cause to ship anything that wouldn't fit in one of the flat rate boxes.

If you use UPS or DHL or Fed Ex, then there are almost always high fees and associated with it when crossing any border. Oddly enough, they can be extraordinarily high to Canada.

I have not had any extra fees added to anything I have sent through USPS.

Thought I would list a few of the countries that I have shipped to from memory.
            Canada, Mexico, Brazil, The Bahama's, Costa Rica, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Denmark, Israel, Iraq, Kuwait, Kasakstan, Poland, China, Japan, India and California.
            There were a few small islands as well, but were APO addresses. Probably several others I just haven't though of.
            Last edited by Stytooner; 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM. Reason: Added list
            Lee

Comment

• aiyou
              SawdustZone Patron
              • Mar 2006
              • Charlotte, NC
              • BT3100

As for weight limits, First Class International typically has a 4-pound limit (as opposed to the 13 ounce limit for domestic First Class). I think this is the same for all foreign destinations.

I think the small Priority Flat Rate has a 20 pound limit (as opposed to the domestic 70 pound limit).

Priority International also has something like a $400 value limit on the small flat rate and $2000 for medium.

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Stytooner

Canada, Mexico, Brazil, The Bahama's, Costa Rica, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Austria, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Denmark, Israel, Iraq, Kuwait, Kasakstan, Poland, China, Japan, India and California.
                I thought California was still considered to be part of the US?
                Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
                  I thought California was still considered to be part of the US?
                  Now you have me wondering.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • The Great Land - Alaska
                    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Stytooner
                    There were a few small islands as well, but were APO addresses. Probably several others I just haven't though of.
                    You forgot to mention Alaska! Some folks still think you can't ship here via USPS. And, yes, sometimes we all wonder about California.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

Working...