• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Unable to open WOOD e-Newsletter links?

Not sure when the problem started since I don't open the emails that often. I get the WOOD e-Newsletter and every so often, I will check/read some of the links. I now have the problem where I get the error message 'Internet Explorer cannot display the website'.

I sent an email to their support team and had 2 possible problems: popup blocker and Flash Player was not current. I disabled the popup blocker and verified that I had the current Flash Player. Still unable to open any links. I forwarded the email to two other persons and they were able to open without any problem. I shutdown the Windows Firewall, which did not make any difference. I am using McAfee from Time Warner Cable and can't find a way to shut down the anti-virus. My last option at this time.

I have the problem on 3 PC's; 2 w/Win7 and IE9 and old laptop with XP and IE9.
    All of the pc's are on a network with Linksys router.

Only thing I haven't done is contacted TWC support to see if I can get any assistance from them.

Any suggestions?

Lago
  • protool
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003
    • Austin, TX, USA.
    • BT3000

Can you copy and paste one or more of the links?
    <><><><><><><><>
    David Cox
    Austin, Texas
    http://davidcox.org/wood/

Comment

• lago
      Established Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Lago Vista, TX.

I tried that already. I sent the email to my son and he was able to open it.

Here is the link I get from the email:
      http://email.woodmagazine.com/cgi-bin17/DM/t/nDD7J0Y2Mb10Fi0zAtt0Gt

Here is the link that my son sent me after successfully opening the link:http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/skills/marking-wood-project-pieces/?sssdmh=dm17.662289&esrc=nwwood041113

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

My recommendations would be:

1) Dump McAfee. It's not great finding things and is a system hog.
        2) Get a new browser. I try to avoid IE if at all possible.

I was able to open it in Chrome and IE 10.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

It opens with Firefox.

Comment

• lago
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Lago Vista, TX.

I loaded Firefox and still have the same problem. Just spend almost 2 hours on the phone with TWC Tech Support. I have the problem escalated to a higher level of support.

One thing I haven't done is take my laptop to another wi-fi spot and see if the problem exists there.

Comment

• lago
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Lago Vista, TX.

Problem solved....

Went to the library and connected to the Internet. It worked there. Contacted TWC and was connected to level 3 support. Explained what the problem was and it was resolved in about 15 minutes. Turnes out that when we added phone service a few months ago, a new modem was installed. The modem has built-in wi-fi and firewall and it was conflicting with my router. They disabled the two and all is working fine.

Lago

Comment

Working...