• Show
Clear All
  • Relative
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • Garden Grove, CA
    • Ridgid R4512

Selecting wood for your project

After reading about something like this, I feel crude.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22094279

Mike
    Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Great article! As for wood choices, use what you have or what you're comfortable with. I have said before that instrument making is at the pinnacle of woodworking craftsmanship.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Great article! As for wood choices, use what you have or what you're comfortable with. I have said before that instrument making is at the pinnacle of woodworking craftsmanship.
      +1. The selection process is quite specific, and makes sense. Very good article.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Of musical talent, I have none, but I love to listen to the masters. Of wood talent, I have a little, but this article makes me yearn!

I went with a Japanese woodworker and assisted in interpreting for a group of American (fine)woodworkers as they toured some of the castles and temples of Kyoto. These were a different breed of woodworkers. Some that hung out with the likes of Sam Maloof and knew him personally.

These fellows did not view the castles and temples the same as other tourists. They were on their knees looking under walk-around pourches/verandas; looking intently at the grain of beams; looking very measureingly at each joint; eyeballing keenly the level of a hand hewn board. While tourists looked at the building, these guys looked at the wood, the jointery and the master craftsmanship, and the eye of the one that selected that wood for that specific purpose.

Even today, when I look at a big tree, I my mind thinks of what it could be!

To dream, to dream! A great article!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Great article. Reminds me of the winemakers terroir - everything has to be just right for the grapes to yield the best wine.

Originally posted by leehljp
          These fellows did not view the castles and temples the same as other tourists. They were on their knees looking under walk-around pourches/verandas; looking intently at the grain of beams; looking very measureingly at each joint; eyeballing keenly the level of a hand hewn board. While tourists looked at the building, these guys looked at the wood, the jointery and the master craftsmanship, and the eye of the one that selected that wood for that specific purpose.
          Wow! That sounds like an interesting tour. Hope to do that some day.
          Richard

Comment

Working...