• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

A bit of shooting

Picked up my Colt .32 Hammerless Pocket Pistol from the gunsmith this afternoon. I wanted to test it out for myself before putting it away. I called the sheriff's office to let them know where I was in case they got a call reporting gunfire and then just set up some soda cans in the back yard. (I haven't put the defletor plate on the targety frame yet.)

The .32 shoots a little high and it took 3 shots to hit the can at about 20'. The last 4 rounds went into a milk jug rapid fire to test recoil. Almost nonexistent. Sweet little gun but, I want to find some hollow points for 'service' loads.

After that I decided to put a few rounds through my 1911 .45. The first round launched the can from the top of the milk jug. Set it backup and hit it again with the second shot. The last 3 rounds were one hand rapid to at a 3" circle on the jug. Two hits and one low left about an inch. After a quick cleaning I relaoded the mags with hollow points and put it back in the nightstand.

Would have loved to shot more, but ammo is too precious at the moment. Still, it was enough to feel confident that I could still take care of an intruder inside the house!

Once my target stand is ready I want to see how the .45 does in my hands at 15 and 25 yards.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Crockett
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Buffalo, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

sounds like a nice way to pass an afternoon Pappy. I don't know much about guns, nor do I have any (which is probably a good thing since I don't know much) but I had the chance to shoot at some targets a couple of times, years ago, at a buddy's cabin and really enjoyed it. I wasn't very accurate but the few times I hit the target I felt pretty good

It was sort of like my golf game - a lot of poor shots, but every now and then I really get a hold of one and want to keep playing!
    Al

Comment

• lago
      Established Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Lago Vista, TX.

I am looking forward to the coming weekend. My son will be bringing one of my grandsons out so we can go to the shooting range. He is 10 yrs and interested in shooting. I checked with the range and youngsters 6-17 can shoot as long as an adult is within arms reach at all times. He will be in the Boy Scouts in a year or so and will probably be shooting then. As a Cub Scout, he has had some time with a pellet gun.

I will start him out on the first .22 rifle, a J.C. Higgins, that I ordered from Sears when I was about 12 or 13. IIRC, I paid $16 for it and ammo was .50/box of 50. I am glad I have a stockpile of old .22 ammo since it is not available now.
      Lago

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Gunslingin' demon, you are, Pappy. That Colt .32 looks just like a German .32 I saw, made by Ortgies. They were made right around 1918. And, that was pretty spry shootin' with the 1911. Is that full sized pistol or one of the newer, compact sized ones? The last time I shot a compact Commander, 1911A1, it fit me so well that I was surprised when I actually hit an 8" branch, 20 yards across the creek. I know that's not much to brag about but it is for me.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by ironhat
          Gunslingin' demon, you are, Pappy. That Colt .32 looks just like a German .32 I saw, made by Ortgies. They were made right around 1918. And, that was pretty spry shootin' with the 1911. Is that full sized pistol or one of the newer, compact sized ones? The last time I shot a compact Commander, 1911A1, it fit me so well that I was surprised when I actually hit an 8" branch, 20 yards across the creek. I know that's not much to brag about but it is for me.
          I stopped by one of my customer's shops after I picked it up. He showed me a German made .32 he keeps in his desk. Very similar to mine but just a little smaller.

The 1911 is a full military spec .45 ACP. I qualified expert with the .45 every year from '79 up to '89 when they replaced with the 9 mm. Shooting expert with the 9 mm was a snap.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Thom2
            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
            • Jan 2003
            • Stevens, PA, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

I've had the daughter on .22 league that I'm very active with at my sportsman's club for the past few years .... 5 years ago I owned a single .22 rifle made by Lakefield Arms .... NOW .... uhhhh .... Keltec P11 as my carry piece, Colt 1911 Gold Cup (my baby), S&W 22A1 .22 target pistol ... plus several rifles that I've acquired .... I just signed my grandson up for .22 league tonight and looking forward to getting him properly trained at the range.

Planning on hitting the range this weekend (hopefully) and unloading some of my 'precious' ammo ... and you're not kidding when you used the word 'precious'
            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

Thom2, You might want to have him if he's develops an interest check into these fine folks rather than the NRA in the future , http://www.odcmp.com/
              Last edited by tommyt654; 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• Thom2
                • Jan 2003
                • Stevens, PA, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

Tommy,

The club I belong to is a member of CMP and I have shot in a few CMP sporter rifle matches, we actually have one coming up on June 1st that I plan on shooting in.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

Cool, What caliber do you guys usually shoot. I currently shoot in both small and largebore rifles and I am considering pistol matches in the future as well if they'll open up a vintage classification for that.

Comment

• Thom2
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Stevens, PA, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22124

The sportsman club I belong too has LONG been centered around competitive Trap and Skeet shooting. Right now we're shooting CMP .22 sporter rifle matches as it's primarily geared for the youth league but adults are welcome to join in as well. I'm hoping that we can get some additional competitive rifle and pistol matches going in the future but I do really enjoy .22 as it's extremely fun and cheap to shoot.

Comment

Working...