• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Mable give up her secrets and thanks all of you

First off, Many, many thanks for all the good comments from you guys, Your validation is really important to me as by the time I finally finish a project, so much time has gone by that I end up hating it.

Its very reassuring that you people, who I have tremendous respect for, and who probably do much better stuff than me, commented so positively.

I’m almost 66 and I started woodworking about 25 years ago, but until I purchased the BT3100, I really hadn’t done any “real” work. So I still consider myself a beginner.

To answer your questions:
    The finish I normally use is 3-4 coats of Watco natural oil finish, and I never stain or colorize wood. After the first coat, I then apply the oil using finer degrees of wet/dry sandpaper, starting at 320 and ending with 600 grit. These wet sand coats are wiped off within 5 minutes of the application and allowed to dry overnight.

Usually, I then give the piece a good coat of Liberon “clear” paste wax applying it with 4x0 steel wool. I find that Liberon’s wool is really superior to all the others, especially the crap they sell at the big box places.

In the case of this table, I had to coat the top with a few coats of wipe on poly. Minwax has been written about in Fine Woodworking as the best and the cheapest. This was my first time of using a protective topcoat and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

I guess the Cherry did darken somewhat, but if you look carefully, it also blotched. I’ll definitely use a first coat of something to seal the wood; you learn something all the time by messing up.

And Steve, its real Gabon Ebony, but don’t tell my wife what it costs. I don’t use too much, so I don’t end up totally broke.
    Ebony, when sanded, finishing up with 600 grit, and then buffed out on a rag wheel using white rouge, is just unbelievable.

Trundoc, the ends of the top, which is glued up from separate 5” boards, ard called “Breadboards” and they are attached to the ends of the top using a full width spline, which is glued to the table top but only spot gluce in one place only to the breadboard ends. This is done to prevent the top boards from cupping and possibly breaking from movement due to change of humidity. They are, hawever screwed in two places also.

Taking a class with Darrell Peart was really inspiring. The guy is just overwhelming to watch and he’s a real adverage type, no BS or attitude.
    He has one book out now with another coming out in the early summer. Good photos and easy to understand instructions. If you’re into Greene & Green, owning his book (s) are a must.

Oh and Don, let me know what Friday night you want to raid the shop, I’ll take in my toy poodle who thinks she’s a Pit Bull so she doesn’t get indigestion from chewing on you. You got the best answers around.

Again, thanks for all the good comments.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Hey! Who said that?
    Lee

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I was waiting to see how you did it Bruce! Makes sense since there is such depth to the piece. "but if you look carefully, it also blotched" - I wasn't going to point that out .

Is the Liberon that black bison stuff? Where are you getting yours from and how much does a tin run? Have you ever tried the colored versions of it?
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
        I was waiting to see how you did it Bruce! Makes sense since there is such depth to the piece. "but if you look carefully, it also blotched" - I wasn't going to point that out .

Is the Liberon that black bison stuff? Where are you getting yours from and how much does a tin run? Have you ever tried the colored versions of it?
        You should have said something about the blotching, its feedback like that that just might make me better.
        Amazon sells it, and no, I haven't used any color. Also "Clear" is what I use, "natural" adds a yellow tint.
        http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=liberon
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

I have never worked with cherry so I feel I can't critic on the finish of such. I have worked on pine extensively and it is blotch prone as well. Probably differences between early and late woods. To that extent I have been able to use successfully two different methods of finish when staining or dyeing wood: seal coat as you mentioned or staining/dyeing the finish itself and not the wood.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
            Oh and Don, let me know what Friday night you want to raid the shop, I’ll take in my toy poodle who thinks she’s a Pit Bull so she doesn’t get indigestion from chewing on you. You got the best answers around
            No problem. I'll bring my Pit who thinks she's a Bichon. They can play while I load....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweet Bunny.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	786491
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Jeez, Pappy - you sure thats a k9?! Looks like a black panther

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen

Trundoc, the ends of the top, which is glued up from separate 5” boards, ard called “Breadboards” and they are attached to the ends of the top using a full width spline, which is glued to the table top but only spot gluce in one place only to the breadboard ends. This is done to prevent the top boards from cupping and possibly breaking from movement due to change of humidity. They are, hawever screwed in two places also.
                Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I'm learning.

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Thanks for the follow-up answers, Bruce. None of your work would belie what you call 'beginner' level!
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

Working...