Virus!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MikeMorgan
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2009
    • 26

    #1

    Virus!

    I'm sure I picked up a trojan from woodworkingmagazineindex.com yesterday. I entered a search term and pressed "search" and a fake "Homeland Security"
    screen popped up and locked my computer. Be careful!
  • durango dude
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 937
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

    #2
    Were I to guess - chances are - that page didn't give it to you --- but that page had content to trigger a trojan that worked its way into your computer some time earlier.

    Trojans have a knack of "sleeping" for awhile - and then rearing their ugly head.

    If you have what I think you have - reset your browser settings, and use system restore to go back to a month ago.

    Once you're up and running -
    scrub your computer with
    - Malware bytes
    - an anti-virus of your choice (I use Avast)

    Once you scrub your computer, clean your registry:
    - Glary Utilities

    Sounds like a lot of work - but my machine went from infested and crawling --- to lean, mean, screaming machine --- with these simple steps.
    Last edited by durango dude; 03-28-2013, 02:46 PM.

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      Thanks for the heads up on the link.

      .

      Comment

      • durango dude
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 937
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

        #4
        Here's a summary of the Norton scan of the index web site:

        http://safeweb.norton.com/report/sho...azineindex.com

        You can also check Google's safebrowsing database.

        The caveat is ---- these utilities can't always inspect pages that are secured by user names and passwords.

        So what's the conclusion? - I'd guess you got your trojan elsewhere - the index simply had content that triggered the trojan.
        Last edited by durango dude; 03-28-2013, 04:24 PM.

        Comment

        • cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 365
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

          #5
          Just downloaded Glary, ran it and was very impressed. Thanks Dude for the tip!

          Cork
          Cork,

          Dare to dream and dare to fail.

          Comment

          • All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 322
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

            #6
            Originally posted by durango dude
            So what's the conclusion? - I'd guess you got your trojan elsewhere - the index simply had content that triggered the trojan.
            Sometimes it isn't even triggered by content on another page, but rather by a period of time. Sometimes it waits some # of minutes, harvesting your passwords for E-Mail and any saved passwords for web sites, then watches to see if you go to any secure sites, etc., and then after so many minutes, whammo!

            Comment

            • BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • 1818
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

              #7
              I was seeing some goofy things while browsing, and after running AdAware I found out I had a program ADSense that added additional pop-ups and imbedded ads on the web. Seemed harmless enough, but annoying.

              What irks me is that there are a ton of legit programs that will install and add all of these secondary programs that they get paid to include (like the Yahoo bar or something like that). That's why I never use the "Standard Install" option. It's always Custom, so I can unclick the options that install these additional programs.

              Comment

              Working...