X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

So, there's a tree down in the yard

The dead tree that we've wanted to take down in our front yard is lying on the ground. Had someone come by unsolicited and make us an offer to take it down, and we took them up on it. Didn't want to pay for them to haul it away, so it's sitting in pieces in our yard.

Guy said he thought it was an elm. Would fit with why the tree was dying, it looks like some symptoms of DED (branch death, roots dead). The trunk is still some good wood however. I had him cut up most of it into chunks, but had him leave a good 5-6' section of the trunk to see what I could do with it.

Now the question is, not what I do with it, but how I do it. I'd like to mill it up and sticker it for an eventual use in the house. But I have no equipment which to do this with, not even a chainsaw. The smaller pieces are certainly small enough to run through the bandsaw, but not this large section.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/grd/3624867615.html

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Awesome, CL always seems to escape me as an option. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow (once I clear away more of the smaller stuff) and see what arrangement we can work up.

Thanks.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Might give these guys a call as well Chris,might be closer , http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/3698163069.html

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Good finds! You can also go on the websites of the manufacturers of the various portable bandsaw mills. They often keep a list of sawyers online where you can contact them.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

If you might want a slab for a table you could research sawyers who can do this. I bought the last cherry from a small sawmill that had that capability. He used a huge chainsaw mill and could do about a 5 floot wide slab.

Comment

• bmyers
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2003
              • Fishkill, NY
              • bt 3100

That happened to me alot too. Free huge hunk-o-tree which is right in the middle of my price range..

So I bought one of these on CL:

If you want to pay shipping I'll cut it for free for ya

B
              "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

Working...