• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Picking Up A Dropped Motorcycle

Before I came up with this method, if I had to pick up a bike I used one of the old methods which was basically positioning your butt on the seat, grabbing parts below the seat, and pushing back with your legs.

A much easier method employs a leverage concept. Lets assume that your bike is on its left side. Stand at the left grip of the handlebar and cock the front wheel all the way over to the right. When it gets to a lock, keep pushing. The force on just the handlebar grip uses the front wheel as a fulcrum. The distance from the handlebar grip to where the tire touches the pavement provides the advantage in overcoming the weight of the bike.

If the bike is on its right side, do the same procedure with the right handlebar grip, pushing to the left.

• chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

That's really smart, Cman ;-)

But isn't it a cardinal sin to drop your bike? I keep seeing clips playing in my head from the 80's of various movies with bikers were someone starts a fight by knocking over their bikes
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Irv Lee
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2011

pick up a dropped bike the easy way vidio

I could figure out what you where saying with out pictures
      this helped me
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1M8rNQU4sc

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Years ago, when I first earned my Class M ---- our instructor brought a Goldwing to class, then laid it down, and taught the smallest female in the class how to pick the Goldwing up.

She was maybe 100-120 pounds --- and she picked up an 800 pound Goldwing with no problems.

Never seemed that easy with my bike (a full dresser BMW R 1200 CL cruiser).

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
          That's really smart, Cman ;-)

But isn't it a cardinal sin to drop your bike?
          I don't know if it amounts to that. I used to ride with a group, and now and then someone would drop their bike. This method got pretty popular.

Comment

Working...