X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I've started a second blog that I can write about other things, and this is the series I started out with. You can grab the link from my woodworking blog if you'd like.

I've tabulated it up thus far, and cutting DTV and getting rid of the lease fee on the modem will net me $107/mo. I've spent about that much on the replacement modem, plus the tax on the second Roku. Outlay for the phone part of it will be much more, but I'll also get more back each month.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• annunaki
      • Jan 2008
      • White Springs, Florida
      • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Another FREEBIE

I got rid of DISH several years ago. I have Amazon Prime and enjoy it.

BUT !!! There's another FREEBIE !!!

http://viooz.co/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

We cancelled our land-line at the beginning of the year. I just got our new antenna up yesterday and I am impressed with the reception. All the major stations look better than they did before. Cancelling Uverse TV today.

I have an Amazon Prime subscription for my business for the free 2-day shipping and many Amazon Video selections are included. Planning on subscribing to the online version of the BigTen Network during Football and Basketball season, so that will bring my monthly savings down to a mere $90 during those months.

We need a digital conversion box for our downstairs TV. I was impressed to find one on Amazon for under $50 that also works as a DVR: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAE92K/

I have also ordered a Chromecast to enable us to watch internet sourced entertainment on the big screen.

Total cost for the antenna, mounts, cabling and the two toys I just mentioned: $167 delivered. First year saving will be around $1000. Not a bad return.

Doug Kerfoot
        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dkerfoot
          We need a digital conversion box for our downstairs TV. I was impressed to find one on Amazon for under $50 that also works as a DVR: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAE92K/

This I did not know about. Looks like you supply USB storage and it does the rest? Let me know how it works out for you. I have a pseudo-HTPC in the office which I can stream to my Roku in the living room but it's hit or miss. Probably the number one gripe of my wife with my off-grid TV solution. This would be a good solution.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by annunaki
            I got rid of DISH several years ago. I have Amazon Prime and enjoy it.

BUT !!! There's another FREEBIE !!!

http://viooz.co/
            Make sure you copy and paste the whole link if you want to try this link - when I copied just the "viooz.co" I got a referral link to a spam site. Using the whole link works fine. The probably appears to be that it adds and extra ".com" if you don't copy the http part.

Or just click on the link as pasted above, that works and takes you to the right site.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dkerfoot
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Holland, Michigan
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              This I did not know about. Looks like you supply USB storage and it does the rest? Let me know how it works out for you. I have a pseudo-HTPC in the office which I can stream to my Roku in the living room but it's hit or miss. Probably the number one gripe of my wife with my off-grid TV solution. This would be a good solution.
              Yes, you can use a thumb drive or an external hard drive for more storage. Watch it on the same TV or plug the storage device into a computer and watch it there.

I will share my thoughts when I have a chance to put it to work, but the Amazon reviews look very positive. The few negatives appear to be fixed via firmware. The company's forum shows that they are very actively developing firmware fixes based on user requests/complaints. Pretty impressive for a sub $50 device!

Doug Kerfoot
              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

When I went to the Viooz site, I received a message that I had to update my flash player. Instead of doing that, I went to the Adobe site, and downloaded the latest version. When I went back to the Viooz site, I again received the message to update my flash player. This makes me question whether or not this is site to stay away from. I'm not saying it is a bad site, just that I question it. Just wanted to give a "heads up" on it.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Ed62
                  When I went to the Viooz site, I received a message that I had to update my flash player. Instead of doing that, I went to the Adobe site, and downloaded the latest version. When I went back to the Viooz site, I again received the message to update my flash player. This makes me question whether or not this is site to stay away from. I'm not saying it is a bad site, just that I question it. Just wanted to give a "heads up" on it.

Ed
                  I decided to look it up in search engines first. Very shady for a completely free site to have major studio movies and no reviews from legitimate sites.

Comment

• annunaki
                    • Jan 2008
                    • White Springs, Florida

I've been using the http://viooz.co/ site for several months without any negative issues, including last night

Comment

• annunaki
                      • Jan 2008
                      • White Springs, Florida

Watching this now-

http://viooz.co/movies/20568-the-ghost-army-2013.html

The Ghost Army (2013)

The Ghost Army
                      Directed by: Rick Beyer
                      Year: 2013 | Duration: 68 min
                      Genre: Documentary
                      Starring: Wesley Clark, Peter Coyote
                      Language: English
                      During World War II, a hand-picked group of American GI's undertook a bizarre mission: create a traveling road show of deception on the battlefields of Europe, with the German Army as their...

Comment

• sscherin
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

We cut our cords a few years ago.. We now run on Netflix and Amazon prime.

Over the last few months We noticed that streaming with our Sony blu-ray was getting much worse.. constantly buffering. We couldn't make it through a 30 min show without issues.

Funny thing is the kids on the PCs and game consoles had 0 problems.. I have 30meg Cable and the player is wired to the router.. I can't imagine it has a network speed issue.

Turns out the issue was our Sony BLu-Ray player.. Sony (for whatever reason they had) forces all netflix traffic through a set of Sony servers instead of connecting direct to netflix like every other player in the world. As a result it can suck big time..

We Picked up a Roku 3 and that thing is rock solid.. Not a single issue now in 2 weeks.
                        William's Law--
                        There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                        cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

I'm supposed to call DTV either today or tomorrow to request my shipping boxes. For some reason, even though I'm prepared to do it, it's a bit like letting go of a safety rope.

Will have to see once I have the Comcast converter boxes hooked up if I'll need a powered splitter. That may complicate things.

Also, didn't realize Broadchurch was starting this week. Hopefully it will be available to stream.

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

So, I had to move the router this morning to investigate signal loss in the living room. I put the things up with double-sided foam tape temporarily.

The foam won.

Oh well, more practice repairing walls in this house. Good thing I bought a can of paint recently.

The DirecTV was canceled today, man they can really offer some discounts if you're serious about leaving. Nearly took the offers and saved $70 a month.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                              The DirecTV was canceled today, man they can really offer some discounts if you're serious about leaving. Nearly took the offers and saved $70 a month.
                              I've called DTV to just ask for discounts, and usually I do get something. But now I'm thinking I should just call to cancel, knowing that I won't.... I pay about $130 a month with everything...

Comment

• Cochese
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                                I've called DTV to just ask for discounts, and usually I do get something. But now I'm thinking I should just call to cancel, knowing that I won't.... I pay about $130 a month with everything...
                                It's when you're out of contract that you get the big discounts. Call when you've got 18 months left? Not much.

Comment

Working...