• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Not fit for military service

Not coming from a military family, I have a curiosity question about it. You will have to forgive me because the extent of my knowledge on the subject is based on what I've seen in the movies.

If someone just signs up for the military (let's say Army), enters basic training, and fails miserably at completing the physical tests or whatever making them ineligible for the infantry, are they just excused from the Army or does the Army try to find a place for them? Like desk job or cook in the kitchen? I'm not even sure if people in that role had to pass basic training to earn the right to work a desk or cook.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    Not coming from a military family, I have a curiosity question about it. You will have to forgive me because the extent of my knowledge on the subject is based on what I've seen in the movies.

If someone just signs up for the military (let's say Army), enters basic training, and fails miserably at completing the physical tests or whatever making them ineligible for the infantry, are they just excused from the Army or does the Army try to find a place for them? Like desk job or cook in the kitchen? I'm not even sure if people in that role had to pass basic training to earn the right to work a desk or cook.
    Two things:
    1) You have to complete BCT. It's not optional.
    2) Unless there is a more serious condition going on, you'll just keep getting recycled until you meet requirements. I'm not sure if there's a point you just get given up on.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I talked to a local recruiter when I was close to graduation, and was declared medically ineligible (yet told I still had to sign up for the draft). Basic is required to be a part of the military, hence the term (basic fitness test).

I did have a friend who graduated from basic, was in his tank training, when something happened (been several decades now, don't remember specifics), where he injured himself and was ordered to keep walking on it. After (between 4 and 7 days) of bad limping, he was allowed to see the doc, and the doc and his Sargent had it out, as he had fractured a hip. He was given a medical discharge, which is not honorable or dishonorable.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul

That's a good question. I can only speak about the U.S. Army. Bottom line is that a recruit must graduate basic training. Basic training is "basic infantry training", as the Army is a military corps, and there are many facets to the training. For whichever segment the recruit doesn't become qualified, he/she will be recycled back to the beginning of that training segment. The Army will try to give you every chance to succeed.

If it comes to pass that the recruit cannot qualify, he/she could be given an ELS..."Entry Level Separation", which releases the recruit from their enlistment commitment.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for the answers. Curiosity satisfied.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

And if you're really a "basket case", there is always a need for moving targets during basic training, or BUD/s if that's the way you roll

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I don't know much about the Army - but I know the Navy (my son is a Navy Nuke) has physical requirements that are non-negotiable, for the most part.

In fact - they also have academic requirements - at least in his field.

We've seen enlistees wash out for all kinds of bizarre - occasionally even (seemingly) arbitrary reasons.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I failed to get into the military during the Viet Nam era from what I consider inept medical assistants. My eye sight has been about 20-200 since Jr. High school.

I tried in New Orleans and in Memphis to "join up" and both times, (three actually) I was told by the new assistants running the eye testing machine that I didn't qualify, but they would not give me a 4-F rating. One said that 20-200 without glasses disqualified me and wrote it down. I did not go beyond that for any more testing in that situation because he said it was unnecessary from that point on!

The other had me take my glasses off and do the depth perception test. He said that 20-200 did not disqualify me, but I must pass a depth perception test without glasses! DUH!

I gave up trying after that!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

It doesn't matter if you are a Cook, Typist, Engineer you are a trained to kill and destroy things first. I don't think there are any jobs in the Army that are exempt, except a Chaplin and maybe a Medical Corpsmen. or some other medical specialty. When I was in back in the 60's I was a welder in an Ordinance outfit. I still carried my M14 and Bayonet when in the Field. Got pretty good and tossing a Grenade also. Only fired my rifle in anger once and that was during the Watts riots. Did get to use the Bayonet also while quelling the Berkley Riots during the VN War. Used to give my Son and Daughter in Law about their having qualify while in the AF, I was told their weapon of choice was B52, who needs a Rifle.

Tom
                  Last edited by TB Roye; 01-30-2013, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

In the USAF you must pass Basic Military Training. They will "recycle" you a couple of times then send you home. Then you must pass Technical School, they will either recycle, reassign, or send you home.

People who couldn't pass basic training would be a detriment to the rest of the force, regardless of their job.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

In the Corps everyone is expected to be able to fulfill the basic function of a Marine, to function as a warrior.

All Marines are required to qualify with the service rifle and requalify each year. Also you are also required to maintain minimum physical conditions and height / weight standards.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...