• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Bathroom Exhaust Fan, Heat, light

We are doing some remodeling and need to install a exhaust fan in the Master Bathroom
    Bought a nice combo exhaust fan, heat, light for the bathroom. went up this morning and found the cavities between the Trusses where I could install it are where the water pipes are. A smaller fan would have the same problem. Another problem is were two section of room join in a valley is right there. Because I need to vent the fan trough the roof I need to put it in either of the two cavities. Question is can you adapt the new flexible water lines to the copper lines or do you have use Copper? The remodel is causing us to remove the Bathroom window as in now look out into the sun room and is a large opening window. It use to be a covered patio but now has been closed in and the bathroom doesn't get good ventilation any more and besides the privacy issue. I am probably going to bite the bullet and call a plumber to move the lines. I am 70 and not that flexible anymore. I have run the wire need for the unit but now will have decide where to go from here. Using a soldering tourch up in the attic is scary. I can see starting a fire and being trapped up there or falling through the ceiling not good.

Tom
  • jAngiel
    • Oct 2003
    • Ryobi BT3100

Yes, there are unions I believe the name is gator bite or something like that. They can be used to join pex, plastic and copper pipes together.

Sharkbite, they have them at HD.
    Last edited by jAngiel; 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM.
    James

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Jame

Thanks you I will look into it. It looks like 3/4" and then some 1/2" with some "T's" and it is all right where I need to put the unit so I can run the Exhaust up to through the roof. Each fixture in the bathroom is on a different wall so that is why there is a problem.

Tom

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

How much room is there to work with? If there is a valley coming through the area, its sounds like you are heading towards an outside wall... if there is only a crawl space to get to it, I agree with using the sharkbites over sweating a fitting in those tight conditions..... unless of course you are interested in taking down enough ceiling to do the job from below. Can you take some pics?
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by jAngiel
          Yes, there are unions I believe the name is gator bite or something like that. They can be used to join pex, plastic and copper pipes together.

Sharkbite, they have them at HD.
          are you referring to shark bite connectors:

http://www.pexsupply.com/SharkBite-F...FUqf4AodPn0A1A
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• jseklund
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006

If you are worried about starting a fire with a torch in a confined area, then you are already ahead of most of the people on the happy homeowner curve!

It is illegal for anyone who is unlicensed to do plumbing work in MA, even if it on their own home. I've still managed to practice soldering skills on a number of projects.

At any rate - the sharkbite fittings do work (I've used them on supply lines to cap them off), and soldering in a tight space can be made easier with a heat protector mat or two and good soldering strategy - put the torch against what you are trying not to burn and point it away - it seems simple but is easy to overlook when it involves tipping the torch in an other-than-upright manner.

In the end though, it may be worth having a plumber come and do the two pipes. It will probably cost you a couple hundred dollars but you will be more confident and should be able to avoid unforseen mistakes during the work (if the plumber is good).
            F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Like I said I am 70 and climbing around all the trusses is not fun. The area where the water pipes are is confide because of the slope of the the 2 roof sections and being close to the outside wall. I am just going to bite the bullet on this one. I am going up there this afternoon or the weekend and take some picture and put the insulation back in the 2 cavities between the trusses. If some thing should happen with torch you could get out of the attic fast enough, you would have to knock the ceiling down and drop to floor. I hink on this one Licenced, bonded and insured will be the way to go. I figure it would take someone who know what they are doing about an hour to do it. In the mean time I will continure to do reasearch on the sharkbite fittlings and tubing that would be used.

Tom

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

+1 for Sharkbite/Gatorbite. I have them for the fittings on my hot water heater. It had been a couple of years and they are still fine -- no leak, no nothing. I've read some where that in Europe they (Sharkbite-like fittings) are legal to use in conceal area. I'm not sure if what they have there is different from what we have here.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

I just had to fix a leak in the laundry room wall. My neighbor is a contractor, primarily an electrician and AC man but a pretty good jack of all trades. After I got it opened up I asked him to swing by and give me an opinion on the repairs and some upgrades. His suggestion was to go with PEX. He said he had a roll at the shop and would come by that evening and crimp the fittings after I got the prep work done.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by trungdok
                    +1 for Sharkbite/Gatorbite. I have them for the fittings on my hot water heater. It had been a couple of years and they are still fine -- no leak, no nothing. I've read some where that in Europe they (Sharkbite-like fittings) are legal to use in conceal area. I'm not sure if what they have there is different from what we have here.
                    Last I checked sharkbite are approved for underground and behind walls - not necessarily underslab though.... and your HJA may have other codes that prevent their use so always check.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...