• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Email count

The other day I was just curious as to how many emails I write per year.
    My gulftel account was 4032. Not sure how many I had on Gmail. Don't know how to check that.

Just curious how many you guys write a year. I don't text, but you can count that too.
    I am running a small business, so that may skew things, but not the fact that I wrote and sent that many. No wonder I have a long lead time.
    Lee
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I would guess less than 1000, including "replies" and "forwards".

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

For me, I average sending about 750 emails per year. Texting about 200.
      Last edited by leehljp; 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Not counting my Gmail and Yahoo which only number in the hundreds, I sent 5,388 e-mails at work in 2012. However, I also try to delete sent e-mails so the number is probably closer to 5,500. Not sure how many of them are high impact.

I have 7,300 e-mails in my inbox for 2012 and I definitely delete ones that are quick replies like "Thanks" or "OK". So that number is closer to 8,000.

I run a service group at work that provides samples to various labs. I actually designed and implemented a web based ordering system just so I wouldn't have to read and respond to e-mails for sample requests. It was very embarrassing when someone would come track me down for their samples and I didn't remember it because the request was buried in an e-mail. The website and my Oracle database do all the remembering for me now. My e-mail traffic is way down for 2013!

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Not sure on my counts, but I've gotten to the point that unless it is a "sales flyer" or some sort of notification from a server at work, I don't delete anything. I have most work e-mails going back to mid April 2001 (lost about a year's worth due to file corruption), and almost all personal e-mails going back about as far.

I had an incident a few years back where a boss accused me of something. I was able to prove him wrong through archived emails on both my system and his. Didn't help a whole lot...he was then po'd at me for proving him wrong. That was one of the reasons why I decided it was time to start looking for another job.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

Just guessing--on my personal account probably around 1,000/year (average 3/day sounds about right)

At work--a normal day is probably 25 to 30, though i had at least that before lunch today. So...6,000 to 7,000/year. On top of that, i distribute employee benefit compliance items to a list of about 250 people at least once every 5-7 business days. I write the letter only once, but we send by merge so it goes out one at a time. Depending on how you score that it's another 40 or 10,000!!

earl

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I just did a count: From today's date until one year ago the total is 126!

Probably about half of those were replies and another 30 or so, an apology to those who got sent "junk" when my mailing list was hacked last spring.

I don't do the "social network" or "twitter" thing. I just checked my cell phone account and over the last six years I've made a total of 16 hours and 17 minutes in call time. Guess I don't have much of a need to be sending people my words.

Maybe I'm just not relavent anymore!

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

I have many years of archived emails as well.
                Just makes sense to me to keep them.
                It is a record of communications.

I figured professionals might have quite a few. LOML probably has about 1000 more than I do.

Many of the ones I send are status updates. Those are to be expected of course.

Probably half are answering questions that are in full view on the website.
                I don't mind it. Thats part of it. Heck of a lot easier than licking a bunch of stamps.
                I would have probably been gone due to toxic glue syndrome or something if I had to lick that many stamps.
                Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I have emails going back to 1997. I have some archived on a couple of disks (somewhere) that go back to 1994.

In addition, I bought a Palm (pilot) back in '98 and ported all of those "appointments, dates and events" continuously onto each computer upgrade. On my current calendar, I can still go back and see those meetings.

Makes a good history of where I have been, what I did, and what my focus was on those days.

Occasionally and just last month, I got an email from a fellow in Japan that was trying to get some "history" behind a specific program. The information that I had on my computer with regards to meetings, dates and email was invaluable to him and his project.

Originally posted by Stytooner
                  I have many years of archived emails as well.

Just makes sense to me to keep them.
                  It is a record of communications.

I figured professionals might have quite a few. LOML probably has about 1000 more than I do.

Many of the ones I send are status updates. Those are to be expected of course.

Probably half are answering questions that are in full view on the website.
                  I don't mind it. Thats part of it. Heck of a lot easier than licking a bunch of stamps.
                  I would have probably been gone due to toxic glue syndrome or something if I had to lick that many stamps.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...