Electrolysis Rocks!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • durango dude
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 937
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

    #1

    Electrolysis Rocks!

    No no --- not hair removal ---- rust removal!

    I picked up some old Millers Falls hand planes last week ------ old and rusty ---- but I thought I'd give it a try.

    I secured a 5 gallon bucket, an old piece of rebar, a battery charger, a wire brush, and some washing soda. (get specific instructions elsewhere - you can screw things up if you do it the wrong way). I followed a method I found on a reliable web site.

    Holy smokes - the old rusty hand planes came out looking fantastic (photos next week). I can now read the original Millers Falls stamps on the blades! (was covered with rust when I started). Kind of wish I'd taken some "before" photos.

    Once I got them cleaned up, I oiled the appropriate parts, sharpened the blades, put them back together - and started planing ----- OMG, they're BEAUTIFUL!

    I'm afraid that I'm headed really quick for the dark side of hand tools!

    BTW --- don't waste money on the Ryobi buffer system sold at HD....... It shreds almost immediately. The rouge worked fine with a different buffer wheel.
    Last edited by durango dude; 12-29-2012, 10:24 PM.
  • Skaning
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2010
    • 63

    #2
    Yep, it is definitely a fairly gentle, if slow, way to remove accumulated rust and crud from iron and steel. Pits will stay, but you will get to bare metal. I did some 80 year old tractor parts recently. After an overnight treatment, next morning a good scrub under running water with a scotchbrite and I was amazes, Like you I found the stamped part numbers still readable even on wear surfaces.

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      Electrolysis does work if you like playing Mr. Wizzard. I've had some good luck with Ospho. Easy to use.

      .

      Comment

      • phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • 1796
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

        #4
        Originally posted by durango dude

        I followed a method I found on a reliable web site.
        Hey Dude, would you mind putting up the link. I had a good link for this but somehow, lost it. I may be doing this soon and would like to refresh my memory. Looking forward to your pics.
        Richard

        Comment

        • durango dude
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2011
          • 937
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

          #5
          Here's my links:

          http://www.wwgoa.com/articles/one-gr...-electrolysis/


          http://video.wwgoa.com/videos/000311...-electrolysis/

          I had amazing results with just 2 hours of soaking!

          Comment

          • Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • 10490
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

            #6
            I had a tutorial set up on webshots until they went away as we knew them.
            Don, aka Pappy,

            Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

            Comment

            • cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • 2812
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

              #7
              I had some old wood auger bits that I had neglected. I was really upset when I discovered that I had missed coating them with oil. After almost two decades stored in a damp basement, they were in some serious need of de-rusting.

              I was only slightly familiar with the process, but with a 5-gal bucket and my battery charger they came out remarkably nice after a couple of days. Followed by some WD-40 and steel wool there was no pitting. I now keep them well oiled and in a carefully monitored shop.

              CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

              Comment

              • phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • 1796
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

                #8
                Thanks for the links, Dude. Sorry I missed yours, Pappy.
                Richard

                Comment

                • thestinker
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 613
                  • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

                  #9
                  I've got some old axe heads I need to try this with. I'll try to post some pics when I get done.
                  Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer

                  Comment

                  • herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 1867
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

                    #10
                    I was looking at that Ospho link. It sounds like the stuff they sell at Harbor Freight, Evaporust.

                    I've used it, it does seem to get rid of the rust, but you are left with a black tool which I didn't care for.

                    Maybe it's time to play 'Mr Wizard'.
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

                    Comment

                    • Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 10490
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

                      #11
                      I have used Ospho on bolts for auto use. Drop them in a plastic jar of the stuff for a few minutues and then pour the Ospho through a strainer. Leave the bolts derusted with a nice black color after they dry.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

                      Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

                      Comment

                      • Skaning
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2010
                        • 63

                        #12
                        Actually, Ospho after electrolysis is a pretty good approach. You wind up with a pretty chemically active surface after electrolysis and it won't take long for a thin oxide patina to form. Not something you want to primecoat over. The Ospho puts a layer of Iron phosphate over every thing (it; essentially phosphoric acid). Stops Iron Oxide formation and allows you to store parts until you are ready to start applying a prime coat . In my case, I'm working om a tractor. Lot's if small parts to clean and prep before reassembly.

                        Comment

                        Working...