• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

New Tool Intimidation Syndrome

So my wife got me the Incra I-Box Jig for my birthday. My wife asked me why the the jig is still on the box. I told her that I am still reading up on it. The truth is that for some reason I can't explain why but I am intimidated to open the packaging. Don't know if it's somehow due to the fear of messing it up. I do not have the same problem when I get an inexpensive tool. Or, purchased the tool out of necessity to finish a project. Anybody else feel this way sometimes?

Regards,
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Maybe it's the fancy color, and all the parts, pieces, and knobs. Times have really changed. Most all jigs were shop made, and weren't intimidating.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's not just you. I bought the Original Incra Jig years ago when there was a really good sale at Rockler. I told myself I'd use it, etc. I fell asleep a few times watching the included DVD and my activation energy dropped real low with the need to clean off my TS to get access to the router table portion of my TS top.

I felt like I wasn't going to do it justice by half*ssing the setup that I haven't bothered yet. And it was really an impulse buy than something i really couldnt live without.

Maybe it's an Incra thing. Most tools I don't really read the instructions unless a step isn't obvious but it seems like with Incra, you need to be an expert before you can begin.

Paul

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

That is only the second Incra product I have looked at and really had a strong desire to purchase. The first being their miter gauge.

The box joint jig looks really cool. Not having to make and store x amount of different size sleds for box joints is a huge plus!! If you want you can send it my way, I can test it out and send it back to you with a full report of the do's and don'ts :P
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Intimidation - That is what is keeping me from getting a small metal lathe, or even a small CNC lathe.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I have the craftsman dovetail jig that is still in te box. Partially for a lack of proper space to set it up and partially some intimidation of making a joint that requires precision to make right.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

I don't know if intimidation is the correct word, but I have an original set of Fisch brad tip bits complete with nicely fitted box that I got about ten years ago. I've never used them. Maybe I'm afraid of ruining them or something. I also own a Hart 16 oz hammer, the one with the polished head and curved handle, also had for who knows how long. Never used it, and I can't figure why.

Am I getting even weirder in my old age?
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• jwd12
                Established Member
                • Jun 2005
                • Dyer, In..
                • BT3100

I bought an original Incra jig from a fellow woodworker. He said he bought it 10 years ago and never used it. Maybe he was intimidated, but he was a very accomplished woodworker. (Maybe he didn't like setup time) Three "practice" boxes later I was happy with the resulting product and was willing to commit some expensive wood to the process. Making boxes fits well with my shop space and budget. My next tool purchase will be the Incra 43" router table top. But hey, I'm not being critical, I have 3 or 4 never used tool purchases too.
                I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

Working...