• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Back on track of the OP. I think the labor movement may be getting a bit of a raw deal here. I do not see this product line being successful in the marketplace anymore. At least not in the way it has been. Continental Baking company controlled not just production but also the supply chain to the retailer with a product line that is shrinking due to an aging population plus a population that is changing due to immigration as well as the former and majority not producing offspring and yet they are offering a product aimed at this shrinking base that also now suddenly is becoming more health conscious. I can see how their days were numbered. Unions not willing to compromise just made the outcome quicker. Yet they get the blame. I have no love of the American labor movement yet I do not see them as the villain here. Some businesses just need to fail. I pray for the displaced workers. I can't remember the last time I ate a Hostess product, I'll not miss it.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Mediation talks failed yesterday so it is back to court today. The company didn't totally blame the strike for their failure, just saide it was the 'last straw'. There seems to be lot of problems ranging from labor/cost to changing demographics to mismanagement that combined to kill the acompany.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Here's the latest from the court

Hostess gets green light from bankruptcy court judge to start winding down its operations

Follow the StarTribune for the news, photos and videos from the Twin Cities and beyond.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
          The company didn't totally blame the strike for their failure, just saide it was the 'last straw'.
          Strangely enough, the teamsters are opposing the strike and implying that a proper vote was not conducted.

One "bun packer" was quoted as saying she would rather not have a job than give in to concessions that would reduce her wages to $45K a year(roughly $21.60/hour). In my opinion, $45K/year is pretty good money for essentially unskilled labor - and more than most college graduates make starting out.

With worker attitudes like that as well as severe inefficiencies related to the union contract, it doesn't seem surprising that they can't make a profitable business. BTW, the executives have been working for $1/year, so they are making greater sacrifices than the workers.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...