• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

PEX Outdoors

We have new neighbors up here - two families that bought the home next door and hardly ever come up. They forgot to turn off an outside water line and after three days of temperatures just below freezing, the copper pipe split. I was lucky enough to find the shutoff valve but now they're going to have to at least repair the line.

I know PEX is being used more and more for indoor plumbing (we have it) but can it be used for outdoor water lines and if so, what are the limitations?
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Are you talking exposed or not exposed? (like outside lines that would run up the outside of a building)
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

No matter what pipes you use outside, they either need to be insulated or winterized or both.
      I am not sure if Pex is UV resistant or not, but I know it is used here under beach houses without insulation and does get some Sun. They must be drained for the winter.
      It rarely gets that cold for long down here, but does occur and anything exposed with water inside will fail.
      Lee

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

PEX should never be in direct sunlight. You can, however, enclose it in conduit or some covering to protect it. Underground, I would think is fine. Though I'd still insulate it.

Comment

Working...