• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

From an online article

I read the news on my home page a couple of times a day. This article caught my attention, obviously because it deals with the Marines. It is about the signs and banners the wives and kids make to hang along the roads and highways leading to the bases when their Marines return from a combat deployment.

"Family signs line roads to welcome Marines home"

A couple of things from the article I thought were worth posting here.

This quote from one of the wives pretty well sums up the life of all those who protect our country and their families:

"Before we know it, they're going to be back and we're all going to be good — until the next time," Milton said. "But that's whole thing about this lifestyle. Every day is a gift. You have to live every single day like they're deploying tomorrow."

The other thing that I found interesting was a photo essay book put together by Chuck Fager called "Priceless". Mr Fager is a peace activist and director of Fayetteville's Quaker House. He said the signs caught his attention while visiting soldiers from Ft Bragg that were being held in the Camp Lejuene brig. Realizing the signs were temporary, he started photographing his favorites and rescued a couple from the ground for his personal collection. He considers them cultural artifacts. A quote from Mr Fagen about the book in the article:

"In my collection, I don't really have any commentary," Fager said. "It's not about me and my views about the war. It's about these families calling out to each other in a difficult situation and doing so with a wit and sensitivity that's very touching."

Whether or not I, or anyone, aggree with his political views I find it admirable that he put them aside for this book.

A link to the book was at the end of the article. The preview is much more extensive than is usually found in online book ads. Also, his comments about the book are interesting.

During the years 2004-2009, my work often took me to Camp Lejeune, a large Marine base on the North Carolina Coast. During these visits I noticed many homemade banners hanging on a fence along the public highway passing the main gate. Many of these banners, made to welcome returning Marines back from combat duty, were so striking and touching that I began taking pictures of some of them. These banners are a particularly well-developed custom at this base. I saw them as a kind of "folk art" showing the persistence of life and love in wartime, among the families who carry a special piece of the burden of combat. The banners were also very ephemeral: most hung there til wind and weather brought them down. These photographs are likely their only record.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I just clicked on the preview to thumbnails. It looks like the 'preview' is the entire book.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Some of those are great...like the ones about the cheeseburger, and the one about being late. A much different attitude today than back during the Vietnam era. Brought back some memories. Thanks.

Comment

Working...