• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Adobe Flash Player rant

I am running a new computer and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. Acrobat installed without a hitch, placed a shortcut on my desktop, and shows up in the programs list.

Flash Player is another story.

When I tried to download it went to the page saying the download would start automatically, and stopped. Going the the help section wasn't much help. I went to the direct download link and got it installed. It doesn't show up in the programs list in the start menu and din't place a shortcut on the desktop. If I go to uninstall programs in the computer, it is there. One of the help/trouble shooting pages in Adobe has a box that is supposed to show the version installed or an eror message. The box is completely blank.

When I try to link to a video from my email, the videos won't play if they are html. I did a search for updates/fixes from Adobe and nothing helped. A search for alternatives to Flash came up empty except for HTML5 which is still in the testing stage and and has very limited application.

My brother is having the same issues with Flash on both of his computers. His laptop is new and he had to install it. The problems started on his desk top computer when he loaded the upgrade from Adobe.

I tried to download an earlier version from the Adobe site but Adobe overides the download and take you to the latest version. Same thing happens when I tried to get an earlier version from another site. (oldapps.com)
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Mildoc
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Copperas Cove TX
    • BT

I assume you visited this page:

AFAIK, FP no longer appears in program lists. Not there on my Mac either but does play videos played in Firefox.
    We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

Pappy,

Are you using explorer 9 or firefox. I gave up on explorer during version 7 and went to firefox and have no problems since. Something I don't recommend, but do, is to download security up dates but nothing else Microsoft offers.
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Not to steal Pappy's thread, but Cork58, what version of firefox are you using, because since the update I can not use FF to see any videos, I have to use IE instead.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Doc, I went through everything on that page except modifying the windows registry. not comfortable going that deep into the system.

Cork, this 'puter is running Windows 7 and IE9. Previous machine had IE7 and I had problems until I upgraded to IE8. Thoiught about taking this one back to 8 and see what happens.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cork58
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Wasilla, AK, USA.
            • BT3000

chopnhack

I'm using Firefox 15.0.1 and can't find a video that won't play. What type are you having problems with. You might take a look at VNC, it really makes video quicker and smoother and works with any browser.
            Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

My brother and I have been chasing this, and some other issues, for over a month now. One of the other problems is buttons/options on a lot of websites being nonfunctional, especially on shopping type sites. (Inability to select color/size oradd items to a cart)

About the same time as the new computers were purchased, the router was also upgraded to an 'N' router and my wife set it to give us a secure network.

This morning, while no one else was onlline, I disconnected the ethernet cable from the modem to the router and plugged my computer straight to the modem.

PROBLEM FOUND!

I hooked the router back up. Now the wife needs to go in and modify the router settings to reduce or eliminate the network security settings. We were kind of isolated before with no other housing around our 16 home neighborhood so security wasn't a real issue. With large appartment complexes now adjacent to us on 2 sides I am hoping there is a way to set the router to block outside source interference and still allow full access to websites.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                My brother and I have been chasing this, and some other issues, for over a month now. One of the other problems is buttons/options on a lot of websites being nonfunctional, especially on shopping type sites. (Inability to select color/size oradd items to a cart)

About the same time as the new computers were purchased, the router was also upgraded to an 'N' router and my wife set it to give us a secure network.

This morning, while no one else was onlline, I disconnected the ethernet cable from the modem to the router and plugged my computer straight to the modem.

PROBLEM FOUND!

I hooked the router back up. Now the wife needs to go in and modify the router settings to reduce or eliminate the network security settings. We were kind of isolated before with no other housing around our 16 home neighborhood so security wasn't a real issue. With large appartment complexes now adjacent to us on 2 sides I am hoping there is a way to set the router to block outside source interference and still allow full access to websites.
                Security settings can be a "Catch 22" and a never ending puzzle!
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Cypress, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Look at the router logs, especially if it has real-time logging. See if it is reporting access "denied" to a particular "port." By "port" I mean something to do with the Internet software stuff, not a physical connector port on the router unit. Firewalls and routers often block specific "port numbers;" these numbers are a big part of what triggers various drivers (e.g. flash) on your computer. So if the port is blocked, the flash stuff can't get through. Look for ports 80 and 1935.

Adobe Flash has a pretty lousy security record too - full of holes for hackers to break into your system and it can be used to mimic web sites easily so that "link" on those sites instead run small programs that install a virus or backdoor into your computer.

mpc

Comment

Working...