What do you call file cabinet dividers . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

What do you call file cabinet dividers . . .

What do you call file cabinet dividers with those holed tabs in the bottom that the rod goes through to hold them in place in the drawer?

I have several old file cabinets in great shape but I don't have any dividers. These cabinets are old but in very good shape, but I can't find any alphabetical (or any) dividers that allow the rod to fit through them on the bottom. I looked on Amazon, googled it, and have called two office stores in the Memphis area near me. Hanging dividers and plain free standing dividers come up but not the bottom hole/tab ones.

Office Depot and Office Max both said that they "might" have them online but did not know what to call them or where to find them. Of course they did not carry them in their stores.

If anyone is better at finding them online, I would greatly appreciate you pointing me in that direction.

I tried the same thing about a month ago and came up empty then too.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Do your cabinets have any manufacturer markings on them? Might search by the manufacturer. Not all of the dividers work with a rod. The legal ones I have by my office desk have a couple pins on the top edges.

A used office furniture place might be a good source too.

Oh, as to the question; I'd call them file cabinet dividers with a hole at the bottom.
    Last edited by pelligrini; 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM.
    Erik

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Lee,
      You've been in Japan waaay too long.
      There called Pentaflex folders and they come in both letter and legal (A4) size. Even Costco sells them.

Have fun,

Bruce
      Forget the former. I just really read your post, haven't the slightest idea what they are and I never saw them ever, I promise
      Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 08-22-2012, 05:26 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Here is a picture. I have seen these file cabinets in stores and offices EVERYWHERE since I was a kid. MOST are now the hanging kind, if not ALL. It is a shame that such good old cabinets will be outdated if there are not dividers available.

Bruce, I looked at the "pentaflex/pendaflex" folders on Amazon and on Costco's web site. They did not have the bottom tabbed kind. I am looking for the dividers as in the picture.

Here is a Pendaflex folder in the file cabinet. The front on view shows that the hanging tabs are not quite wide enough to work; the side view shows that the hanger is not low enough to fit the sides and let the folder be vertical.

Last edited by leehljp; 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Erik,

This might be a generation thing. This was the common and ordinary file cabinet for YEARS. No name needed. Every company made this type back before probably the 80's. I even saw these in the "A-4" size in Japan.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Hank have you tried a GSA surplus sale or auction?
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

I remember those too Lee (and I'm still a pup :P) They probably stopped making them because of material costs. Ever moved one of those old steel cabinets with the drawers inside? The things were behemoths! I am sure you can find parts, but alas I too don't know there name. As has been mentioned, salvage would be a good place to start. Perhaps inquiring at the library, its possible some of the older librarians would know what they were called or could remember some names of major manufacturers of cabinets.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                Hank have you tried a GSA surplus sale or auction?
                I might need to start looking. I can't find them on ebay - That is bad!
                Hank Lee

Comment

• wardprobst
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22811

Lee,
                  You can buy hanging folder racks that will fit in these type of cabinets. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Size/?cm_cat=
                  I'm old enough to have used both and I like the new ones better.
                  DP
                  www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by wardprobst
                    Lee,
                    You can buy hanging folder racks that will fit in these type of cabinets. http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Size/?cm_cat=
                    I'm old enough to have used both and I like the new ones better.
                    DP
                    OK! You just pointed me as to what where or how old cabinets are being used/adaptive to todays filing system.

Those frames are the way to adapt the older cabinets. I went into my admin assistant's office and that is what she has in 4 cabinets. I should have asked her first. She is older than me and she said "you can't find the old "rod" type any more". Bruce is right, I WAS in Japan far too long!

(I started a new job two weeks ago working as a coordinator of an association of churches in our area; couldn't stay retired.)
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Hank,
                      I'm old, but not that old. Never saw that system. But I totally forgot about the frame system. It's cheap and adjustable for all size cabinets.
                      And yes, you spent too much time in Japan..

Bruce
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• jking
                        • May 2003
                        • Des Moines, IA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                        Here is a picture. I have seen these file cabinets in stores and offices EVERYWHERE since I was a kid. MOST are now the hanging kind, if not ALL. It is a shame that such good old cabinets will be outdated if there are not dividers available.

I've seen these before, and I don't know that anyone uses them anymore. Pretty much everyone I've seen either uses hanging files or manila folders. I don't know what they would be called other than "file cabinet dividers." I know, not much help.

Comment

Working...