• Show
Clear All
  • Mildoc
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • Copperas Cove TX
    • BT

All American Handyman show

Anyone else live this show? Was on last year, new season started tonight on HGTV. Features Mike Holmes and Scott Mc Gillivray as the judges.

15 men, 5 women compete for the title. Tonight they had to (1) install a new toilet, and (2) design and build a doghouse, each for a different dog.

LOVED the dog house part!
    We all have to go sometime, just not yet!
  • NewDIYer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Southington, CT
    • Ryobi BT3000

I like this show..

There are some of the shows that I have always watched on the HGTV before my interest in wood fun as a hobby. This was one of them and have watched a few seasons already.

I watch more shows on HGTV now than I have ever.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

It's OK- though there are definitely things they are rediculous on. I remember Mike Holmes ripping into a guy for caulking the base of his toilet, saying you should never do that. Well in Minneapolis, that's required by code.

Also, I think there's far too much framing in it. It seems like you really need to know structure, and very little about plumbing or electrical to get by.

Oh, and there was way too much add placement with Craftsman.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've only caught bits and pieces of it. It was OK, but I am really on the fence about Mike Holmes. I like his direct approach and he certainly knows what he's doing, but he just seems a bit over the top for me.

Yes, from what I have seen, the show really is a Sears infomercial.
        Joe

Comment

• Mildoc
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Copperas Cove TX
          • BT

Yep, Sears. How many shows are not for one company or another?

As for Mike, I love him. Yeah, when he corrects mistakes made in home construction he goes "over the top." I like that. I have always said "minimum code" is "fair, and cheaper for the builders," NOT the highest standard. "minimum" could be done better.

Example: in Texas, if there is a window in the bathroom, no ventilation fan is required. Really? Yeah, like I'm going to open that window when the temp is 30 or 110 degrees.
          We all have to go sometime, just not yet!

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I haven't seen the show yet, but it does sound interesting. I'll keep on the lookout.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by BigguyZ
              I remember Mike Holmes ripping into a guy for caulking the base of his toilet, saying you should never do that. Well in Minneapolis, that's required by code.
              Codes here follow traditional plumbing techniques. The bowl can be trimmed to the floor with plaster, or caulk. To the rear of the basin, an opening has to be left void of either in case the gasket/ring leaks, or a stoppage, water will show on the floor. If it was sealed all the way around, it will be a bad day.

Comment

Working...