5 American expressions the Brits DO NOT get!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by leehljp
    Until recently (I think) the British "million" and an "International / US "million" were quite different!
    If it is like in German, the million is still the same, but then it changes:

US German
    Million Million
    Billion Milliarde
    Trillion Billion
    Quadrillion Billiarde

and so on. Quite confusing!

Comment

• NewDIYer
      Forum Newbie
      • Jun 2012
      • Southington, CT
      • Ryobi BT3000

Give you a ring..

When I first used "I will give you a ring" it was to my school advisor. I still remember his "what's up with this dude" look. All I was indicating was that I will call you.

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I will give you a ring
        In the UK, you ring someone up when you want to talk with them on the phone.

A meal that's "really nice" in the UK would be called excellent here.

A ground floor flat is underneath a first floor flat.

Not so much related to the language differences, but in the UK, ladies only order a half (pint), never a full pint.

The better newspapers in the UK were written in almost exactly the same style as newspapers in the US. However reading technical papers could be a challenge. they were written with familiar English words, but arranged in ways that could be incomprehensible to a Yank.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

Our oldest daughter attended college in Lancaster, England during '88 and '89.

A wonderful couple of weeks and at the airport the airport security chap (this was after Lockerbie) asked how our vacation had been.

I told him that it went very well considering I had been driving on the wrong side of the road for two weeks.

He looked at me for several seconds and then said, "From the looks of you, sir, I'd guess you have been driving on the wrong side of the road for over thirty years!".

Then he cracked a big smile. I'll bet he's had many chances to use that line!
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

There was a Charlie Rose interview a few years ago, that made me laugh. I never realized the reporter he interviewed was an immigrant. I think it was Ted Koppel and it was along the lines of he was new here in school and asked a girl for a rubber not knowing it was called an eraser here.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...