Clear All
  • Crockett
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Buffalo, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

New Framing Web Site

Hello folks,
    I've been working on a site about making picture frames over the last couple of months. It's in its early stages and I have a lot of work to do to get it where I want it (in terms of look/feel and information - very basic now building towards more advanced techniques etc...) As fellow wood workers I am just looking for some friendly input (please no insults ) on things I have covered so far, or even how you think it looks. My goal is to add some affiliate links that could eventually kick in a few dollars to support this hobby.

Constructive feedback would be appreciated - especially coming from the group of people here. So, if you have some free time to kill and don't mind taking a look, check-it out and let me know what doesn't make sense, what could be covered that isn't or anything else that strikes you about it that would help me improve. It is:

www.picture-frame-it-yourself.com

thanks!
    Al
    Al
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Al, great website!! I love picture frames and my wife has a request for all our walls to have custom frames because she can not find anything she likes, and she wants clusters of frames and they must match in style and color. I will be studying your site well into the future. The layout of information is good! Thanks for being a valuable resource.

Is there a link to your etsy store on this website?
    Last edited by chopnhack; 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM. Reason: ? on etsy
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Crockett
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Buffalo, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanks Chopnhack, I haven't listed the e-bay or ETSY sites there yet becuse I need to spruce them up a bit, but here is a link to the ETSY site:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/harvestwood..._shop_redirect

Thanks for taking a look at the site!
      Al
      Al

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

The finish and appearance of the cherry frames are outstanding!! No offense, but the walnut just paled in comparison and I am a huge fan of walnut. To be honest, I think its the dark stain - and some folks want a dark frame, but as a woodworker, I like to see the warm brown and orange tones of walnut. I especially love how it ages. Just my preference.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I think you did a great job with the site. It's well laid out, very organized, and easy to follow.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Don't have time to go through the site in detail this morning but I will over the next couple of days. What I saw at a quick look looks great.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

You've put some hard work in that site.

And it's very informative. I've never cared about the store bought frames, they just look cheap and run of the mill stuff. There's quite of few of us here on the BT3 that's gonna use your site to build our own. Thanks for your hard work and sharing your experience.

Comment

• Crockett
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Buffalo, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

Thanks for you input folks!

Chopnhack - I agree with you about the walnut! Its funny how most people who work with wood see things versus those who like to buy things made of wood. Over the years I have sold very few natural walnut and cherry frames compared to stained versions. I prefer the natural look, so all of the natural grain and beauty shows through....

Pappy - I just sent you a private message, I look forward to being able to chat with you - thanks!

RA - I am glad you think it will be useful - I have learned so much here in this forum, if I can help others here just little bit - I will be happy.

take care
                Al
                Al

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the checkbook is in the customers pocket! LOL.

Comment

• bigstick509
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Macomb, MI, USA.
                    • BT3100

Great site with enough info that I may
                    finally start a few. LOML has been after me for years for some frames.
                    With the arrival of our first grandchild the first frame will certainly not be the last.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• NewDIYer
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2012
                      • Southington, CT
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Awesome!

I also briefly visited the websites. I would love to take advantage of the site and the knowledge. I have mirrors in the masterbath which I would like to frame and this knowledge will help me for that as well.

Good job!

Comment

• Crockett
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Buffalo, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

thanks guys!
                        Al

Comment

Working...