X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Brain optional moments

I finally dug the Irwin honing set out of my car I bought several weeks ago, as I was feeling like crap and wanted something stationary and silent to do out in my shop while my son got a treat and got to use my leaf blower.

Since I only have a WS 2000, this would be my introduction to a honing guide and a stone. I picked the smallest HF chisel I have left (still haven't found the smallest one) and started practicing. While it's probably nowhere near scary sharp, I did notice a good improvement and was able to shave some hair.

That successful, I had the synapse to take a look at my Groz #5. I purchased this several months ago on clearance and have never been able to get a shaving out of it. I tore it down when I first got it and cleaned it up and sharpened it some on the WS. But all I ever got out of it was globs that jammed up the throat. The block plane I ordered was fine, as was my HD-purchased Stanley #4. The #5 was assembled differently than what I was accustomed to, but I figured the reviews indicated what I got - something that was substandard. So on the shelf it went until today.

I brought it down and took it apart to hone the cap and sharpen up the blade. That done, I assembled it back together and still noticed how odd it was that how far the blade protruded when the cap was set correctly.

Then I reassembled the plane with the blade turned over. Yeah, much better when it's assembled correctly. I guess when I first tore it down I put the blade in upside down and didn't know any better. Owning the Stanley, it's of a different construction and I wasn't used to the construction of the Groz, which is more standard. I feel so dumb, but at least I have a pretty decent #5 now, and I'm on my way to having some better functioning hand tools.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Good story and I know how good it feels to just stop and work on a small project without pressure of time or schedule or needing it to get done in order to do another project.

I too have a WS and like it! I think I take "sharpening" for granted with that machine around.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Most all planes with chipbreakers will be set up bevel down. Most block planes and specially made bevel up planes will be set up bevel up.

Lee Valley's instructions for their bench planes has some good quick info: http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping...s.aspx?p=49971

If you're still getting jams you probably need to put the chip a bit closer to the edge of the iron, and maybe open the mouth a bit too. Do one change at a time so you can see the results.

You could probably use your honing guide on your WS too. Just fab up a worksurface parallel and in the same plane as your top sharpening surface. I bought the wide blade kit for my WS3000. I could have saved some cash if I would have made a table, and had a much bigger worksurface.
      Last edited by pelligrini; 06-10-2012, 01:22 PM.
      Erik

Comment

Working...