X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

What are your plans

We have a recently started tradition in our household for this weekend, We are taking 2 of our older friends, both veterans and single(1 widower) out to a ball game at our local minor league teams (Rome Braves) for a night of celebration and for them a chance to blow off some steam without worrying about whether they drink or not. Since we acquired the new home we have 2 extra beds setup for guest as well as the game room downstairs for same late night billiards games both of them like to play and we get the chance to see them blow off some steam and have a nice relaxed evening(tho it will be warm one). I had gotten the seats early on in the season so we will actually still be behind home plate,but about 60 ft away sitting in the a/c watching from there till it cools down as they have a small clubhouse area we can sit in till then. What are ya'lls plans for this memorial day?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I'm attending a ceremony with the Army Reserve and VFW.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Have a birthday party for the the twin Grandkids today. Tomorrow morning is the church of Indy 500 then a Minor league ballgame in the evening to see Manny Ramirez on his rehab assignment, Monday Military Ceremonies at a local cemetary. Will watch a recording of the NASCAR race on Monday after everyone leaves. The listing to or watch Indy has been a part of my life since 1952 when Vuky almost won. The one day no body bothers me until after the race. Have a great holiday weekend and remember those who have and do serve our Country. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Tom

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

REST! LOML and I lead a 4 day conference that ended this past Wednesday night and Thursday and Friday were just as busy.

I will be participating in a Community Memorial Day Service with our town on Monday. Yesterday, I heard a radio talk show host lamenting that Memorial Day, as are other hollidays were far more commerical "sales" events than what the days are supposed to be. Of course I agree and most of you would too. The focus of Memorial Day to me will be honoring those who died for our freedom (and I will certainly be thinking of those still living that did fought along beside them)!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

No specific plans. If I am out and about, I will try to make those who wish a "Happy" Memorial Day understand what this holiday is about. It is to remember and mourn those who gave all in the service of our Nation.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

My usual visit to the local Vets cemetery, a few hours of quiet reflection and remembering the guys that couldn't come home with me.
            And NO shopping Sunday or Monday.
            Thanks to all of you who have served and rest in peace those who aren't with us today.

Bruce

And as usual, I withhold my signature for this solemn mesage
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Patched my roof and made a band saw candle stald for LOML yesterday morn, then worked a demolition derby last night. Stayed at the track,sitting in turn 1 now watching a driving experience. After workin pit road at Indy last several years, it's nice to be in an air conditioned truck. Miss the emotion of the Big Race, but not 90 temps in a fire suit!!

Back home tonight for a lazy Monday. Thanks to all who served and still serve to make it possible, especially my son Andy, USAF active duty.

Earl

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

We try to get together once a year for a survivor's gathering around memorial day, but due to health issues I won't be able to make the trek this year.

Please remember to include in your thoughts and prayers those who served in special forces, clandestine ops, and other classified units who can never publicly acknowledge their service.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Dal300
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2011
                  • East Central Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I will watch stupid WWII and WWI movies.

I can't really say where or what I was doing on this date back in the early 70's. (See post above).

I will also put a whole Salmon on the grill on a cedar plank with lemon and lime juice, garlic, dill and butter.

Since I usually have to get up for a med about 02:00, I'll probably stay up and ask for peace for the families of all the fallen brothers and sisters.

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Well, the guys are on their way back to Marietta. We had a great time at the game last night(tho we got wooped by 10 runs) and they had made out famously with a coupla older gals, we got home about 11. I was the DD and once home had a few brews and we shot pool all night till about 2a.m, and hit the rack. Had a nice breakfast at the IHOP and settled back in the lounge sofas for the 500, nice race. The guys really enjoyed themselves and look forward to next yr. One is battling cancer the other loneliness. Hope to see them next yr. Both served in Korea and Nam and are my mentors since Dad passed. Great to see these guys have a nice enjoyable evening out with no fears of reprisal or intolerance due to the fact they like to cut up as only older vets can ,Gotta love em. Hope everyone else has as nice a weekend as we are and tomorrow I'm drownin worms at the dead sea,(Lake Allatoona),Yippee

Comment

• andyzee
                      Forum Newbie
                      • May 2012

Friends and BBQ at our house, going to try out my new project, an all hickory made grill!

Comment

Working...