• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Got A Favorite For The '500'?

I'm favoring Marco Andretti. That would make Dad and Gramps very happy.

• tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Dario or the kid that wrecked last lap leading last yr.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

One of the Andretti cars. I watch both days of qualifying. What a sad sight no body in the stands. Until the Idiots who run Indy Car go back to the roots and get the drivers out of the Midget and Sprint cars, the ones who run on the local tracks they will never develope the following they used to have. I think the guys who were there in the sixties and Seventies who came out of those ranks proved that you don't have to be a road racer to drive rear engine cars. I am talking about Foyt, the Unsers, Rutherford and Rick Mears (he raced off road vehicles). I have been going to races there since the 50's and this years looked bad only 33 cars entered so every body gets in no matter how slow. They should have given the engine manufactures more lead time so there would be more engines and other equipment. Now I have nothing against the foreign driver they are good but outside of the top 5 or 6 foreigners and the 6 Americans, who are these other drivers? I know a lot of them bring money and that why they have rides but it sure doesn't help the sport.

The NASCAR All Star Race last night was boring and the stands there were not full either. The good part of the race unless you were a Jimmy Johnson fan was watching Jr. and AJ come from the back of the pack and watching them in the Qualifying race. It used to be you didn't have to over hype the races they built and had their own excitement. I will watch the 500 and have a toast to the ghosts with my old racing buddies and maybe go next year. We will have our traditional Bar B Que Sunday evening and watch the 600 in the back yard.

Both series should look very closely at ways to make the races more appealing. NASCAR stop going to these 1 1/2 mile cookie cutter tracks. Indy Car get back on the Ovals with America drivers from the local Sprint and Midget tracks. Indy car would have been much better off with Ken Schrader, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, Ryan Newman and AJ Almadinger (where did he get the AJ from?) Sam Hornish, and a couple of guys in Nationwide who come from dirt tracks. Rant off

Tom

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by TB Roye
        One of the Andretti cars. I watch both days of qualifying. What a sad sight no body in the stands.
        Tom
        I can't believe the cost to go to these races. Gate charges, paddock passes are expensive. If you haven't read about the F1 Circuit of Americas parking and seat costs...read this. No wonder the stands are empty.

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

F1 is a rip off both to the fans and organizers. All the money goes to Esclone

Comment

• parnelli
            • Aug 2004
            • bt3100

Indy Car get back on the Ovals with America drivers from the local Sprint and Midget tracks.
            And I would suggest that this is what Tony tried to do with creating the IRL, and in doing so put open wheel racing in the states on a path to irrelevance.

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

F1 is a rip off both to the fans and organizers. All the money goes to Esclone
              It's a big business. And I much rather watch F1 than open-wheel oval racing, which is a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I can probably think of only a handful of drivers in IRL these days... and I used to be an avid open wheel fan back in the CART days. I always went to the Long Beach Grand Prix - all three days. Ever since Tony George decided to "take his ball away from the other kids and go somewhere else because they wouldn't let him be in charge on the playground" open wheel in the US has been dying. With most of the races the last few years on stupid cable channels that nobody carries it is easy to see why there's almost no sponsor money, especially for the teams without big names.

I can't get interested in spec racing which is what open wheel has become. Oh sure, this year they finally decided to have more than one engine manufacturer but that's too little, too late. NASCAR is trying to be a spec series too, unfortunately. Whenever the track owners/promoters have to resort to contrivances like this year's NASCAR All-Star race had you know things are bad.

Back to the original question: who do I think will will win the 500? A Penske driver... probably Will Power though I'd like to see Helio get another one - he at least is fun to watch unlike so many of today's "I gotta thank sponsor a, b, c, d, e, f, g..." automatons.

mpc

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

We used to take bets on who would have to interview AJ Foyt after he dropped out or was involved in wreck. Started listening to the race in 1952. my first sports hero was Vuky saw him every week in the Midget races here in Sacramento. Can still remember where I was and what I was doing when he was killed. Tony George got coned into spending 120 mil. upgrading the speedway for F1 and paid up wards of 20 mil. a year to have it.

Tom

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Now I have nothing against the foreign driver they are good but outside of the top 5 or 6 foreigners and the 6 Americans, who are these other drivers? I know a lot of them bring money and that why they have rides but it sure doesn't help the sport.
                    Tom
                    +1. I'm with ya on this. Some of these drivers are really out of the blue. Most likely they are ones that have some experience, but bring money to the team. For years, it's been about money.

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I wouldn't mind seeing Marco Andretti or Graham Rahal win for nostalgia sake, but I also wouldn't mind seeing JR Hildebrand redeem himself from wrecking while in the lead on the 4th turn last year.

Indy racing is starting to read like Formula 1....there's a whole bunch of names I don't recognize and can't pronounce properly....how can you care who wins if you don't know who's racing? It's really too bad that Indy Car has come to this....the cars are great, but who are these people?
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                        • May 2003
                        • Orlando, FL, USA.
                        • BT3000

It's a shame, I haven't been following the drivers and cars for this year's race.

My best memories of the 500 were listening to it on the RADIO when I was a teenager in Kentucky in the early 60's. "The Greatest Spectical in Racing." I knew all of the drivers. Firestone was the tire. Offenhauser was the engine of choice. I felt like I was watching it first hand.

I lived in Indianapolis for a couple of years in the mid 70's. Indy residents were passionate about the race. AJ Foyt was a cult hero in Indy and all over the US. I went to one 500 while I lived there. Not uncommon ... the last couple of laps were rained out. Saw Smokey Yunick wrenching on a car and snuffing out a little engine fire with his shop rag during trials. Side note - I regret not meeting him and going to his garage in Daytona years later while it was still open.

- Lonnie
                        Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM.
                        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

...only 33 cars entered so every body gets in no matter how slow. Tom
                          That is one helluva footnote for what was once "the greatest spectacle in motor racing".

Like many, I remember listening to and watching the Mears, Unsers, Foyt, Ruby and the other legends. There was an uproar from the fans when foreign drivers were allowed to compete.

Lots of great moments through the years as well as some controversy. Only one driver in history refused the traditional milk in the winner's circle, because part of his sponsorship was the Florida Orange Juice Assn. Then there was the 'Whosh-mobile', Granatelli's turbine that Mario would have driven to the widest victory lead ever had a $2 bearing not failed. It was so heavily restricted the next year that it was even competitive.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• gerti
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by Pappy
                            There was an uproar from the fans when foreign drivers were allowed to compete.
                            Foreign drivers have always been a part of the 500. Four of the first six Indianapolis 500 winners were non-US drivers, and there have been many through the years. In the 50's the 500 was part of the F1 championship, and saw drivers like Alberto Ascari in a Ferrari in 1952. JimClark, Graham Hill, and others followed. Later we saw Emerson Fittipaldi, Teo Fabi, Arie Luyendyk, Nigel Mansell...

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by gerti
                              Foreign drivers have always been a part of the 500. Four of the first six Indianapolis 500 winners were non-US drivers, and there have been many through the years. In the 50's the 500 was part of the F1 championship, and saw drivers like Alberto Ascari in a Ferrari in 1952. JimClark, Graham Hill, and others followed. Later we saw Emerson Fittipaldi, Teo Fabi, Arie Luyendyk, Nigel Mansell...
                              My concern isn't so much about having foreign drivers in the race, it's having such a large percentage of foreign drivers, most of whom I'm not familiar with. I think the promoters would be wise to have more American drivers and more recognizable drivers.
                              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...