• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Another Customer Service Story

I have a pair of older garden hose reels. One I was about to replace because the male hose connection was stripped. The reviews I found online on all the ones I was thinking about were pretty bad.

Coming in to take a break on Sunday I noted the name on the bad one, "Ames Reel Easy". I googled it and the first hit was the Ames company.

On their site was a parts section with breakdowns of both the models I have. The 'water delivery system' was listed as a single part and I clicked on it and then the 'Order Now' button expecting to get a price or a cart. Instead I got the standard screen wanting name, address, e-mail, phone, etc. I filled it out thinking the next step would be to see the price and want credit card info. Click 'submit' and get a message saying, 'Thank you, your order has been placed'.

I found a number and called customer service to leave a message to found out what the cost was, assuming I would be billed with the order. The message said parts could be ordered free of charge on the website or by caling back during business hours. Still sceptical, I left my number and got a call on Monday assuring me that the parts were free, including shipping.

Thats what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

That IS Customer Service!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

+1. same experience here with an ames hose reel. they state it's guaranteed for life and, apparently, they stand behind their guaranty.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

That's quite a service. What if you listed all the parts...would you get a whole new hose reel...free?:

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by toolguy1000
          +1. same experience here with an ames hose reel. they state it's guaranteed for life and, apparently, they stand behind their guaranty.
          The part that tracks across as you reel the hose in and keeps the hose even on the spool is bad on both of mine. Unfortunately, those parts are no longer available. That part has been removed from the one I am getting the parts for.

I bought one of mine at a garage sale and the other was a dumpster find. Bet on me looking for Ames when I replace them.
          Last edited by Pappy; 05-09-2012, 05:43 AM.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Wow, the only other thing that could make me go out and buy one is to say that it was made in America. I'm so past that Suncast garbage that leaks the second time you use it.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• greenacres2
              • Dec 2011
              • La Porte, IN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Pappy--if you don't mind me piggy-backing your thread...i've got several old Irwin clamps and the pads on a few pair have gotten nasty. Typed "irwin clamp pads" into google, one of the hits was the Irwin site. Allows you to order 2 pairs of pads (no price listed). I went to check-out to see if a total would appear...nothing except asking for name and address. That was Sunday night, i'll post when they get here.

No charge for replacement pads????

earl

Edit---100th post. I've just become Established...i don't feel less of a novice!!

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by greenacres2
                Pappy--if you don't mind me piggy-backing your thread...i've got several old Irwin clamps and the pads on a few pair have gotten nasty. Typed "irwin clamp pads" into google, one of the hits was the Irwin site. Allows you to order 2 pairs of pads (no price listed). I went to check-out to see if a total would appear...nothing except asking for name and address. That was Sunday night, i'll post when they get here.

No charge for replacement pads????

earl

Edit---100th post. I've just become Established...i don't feel less of a novice!!
                No objection at all. Thanks for the info. I need to order a couple of pad sets myself!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

If I may piggyback again.

I purchased a Weber grill and whenI went to assemble it, I was short 2 pieces--neither of which were crucial to the immediate use of the grill. I called Weber and they not only answered, but registered my grill over the phone and sent me 4 replacement pieces with OVERNIGHT AIR SHIPPING.

I guarantee the value of the parts was less than $5. Think I'll be buying a Weber again---with a 10yr warranty, absolutely. Should be around 2025

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Ordered the part on Sunday and got it in the mail today, shipped via mail in a cloth bag.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...