• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Who oversees the cities?

When a city is breaking it's own ordinances to give a private developer for a private project far reaching freedoms, what are residents options? Does one have to hire a lawyer and sue (expensive), or is there some agency that oversees what the cities do?

Thanks

Gerd
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

In theory, the people oversee "the city" by means of the vote. In reality, apathy and laziness allow for corruption and malfeasance to run rampant.

Lawyers and lots of dollars are the only real answer. Unfortunately, governments usually have more of both.

There is always the media that may want to look into your claims.
    Joe

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Where it ends up I can't tell you, but I can tell you this much:

First, go to the offenders and give them notice in writing that you believe they are violating either the letter or the spirit of the law. Request that they respond to your inquiry in writing. Specifically request that a person, not an agency name, sign the letter of response.
      This lets them know that they will be held personally responsible for their actions and words.This puts them on notice that someone is watching them and they had better be carelul of what they do and say. It also gives you written proof that you tried to resolve the problem at its root, so they can't subsequently say 'nobody ever complained'.

If you get a bs response from them, look to their political opposition. Nothing they like better than some dirt on the current admin.

BE SURE YOU KEEP EVERYTHING DATED, IN WRITING AND IN ORDER!
      Sorry for the caps, but this is the most important thing to show the timeline of what you did, who you spoke to and when. Names and dates are extremely important!

If this gets you nowhere:
      If it's local government, contact the city, if it's city government, contact the state. Always make them aware in your correspondence that you are not willing to drop this and you will go to the next higher authority if you don't get sufficient results with them.

It is probably going to be a long drawn out process, because this is the way things are set up to frustrate citizens who try to upset the apple cart.

I have had more successes than failures with this strategy, so I speak from experience.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

A cheaper way to get attention, is if you can get the attention of tv stations (at your service or investigative reporting).

Years back, a friend of mine called the town I lived in, and asked why there wasn't a stop sign or light at a location. They answered that is was and was marked accordingly, to which he said, it wasn't and this is my name and I will be taking a crew there, if you would like to meet me there, or I can come interview you after. A temporary stop sign was put up in 30 minutes, and two days later permanent ones were up. (had LONG been a bad intersection, where they made money on accident tickets)

If you send a letter, you could send a copy to the local news as well.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow, Herb - great strategy! I would have given up before I started! I'll keep that in mind, and also spread the word.

Linux, I like that too. Instead of directly complaining to TV, the threat of complaint might stir people up faster.

Good Thread. Should be taught in school, part of Civics or something.
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

The people that pay the taxes and that are part of the city are the ones who oversee it.

Herb has some good advice, as well as getting media coverage. Instead of just targeting the party responsible (the city official) with a letter, address them specifically with one, but copy everybody else; mayor, city council members, city lawyer, involved deparment heads, the developer, and especially TV and newspaper. Let 'em all know that the issue is now known to everyone. It should make the process quicker and be less likely to get swept under a rug.
            Erik

Comment

• All Thumbs
              Established Member
              • Oct 2009
              • Penn Hills, PA
              • BT3K/Saw-Stop

The state government?

Comment

Working...