• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Changed Auto Insurer - and saved 21%!

Somehow the math (or logic or commonsense) of this never makes sense to me.

I used to be with Allstate for auto insurance till two years ago, then Progressive offered me around $880 instead of the $1030 I was paying then to Allstate. (That's six month premium paid lumpsum at the beginning, for two cars of years 1999 and 2008).

Yesterday I switched back to Allstate because they offered a rate of $745 (as against Progressive's latest renewal rate of $940). I did call Progressive and asked them to match this offer, and the lady says "we cannot match for existing customers, sir".

So they are actively encouraging customers to keep switching agencies! Seems so contrary...

The difference is so much that I could even afford to spread the payment out to paid monthly (added around $52, or $8.50 per month).

While I'm happy to have a better choice, I know this may not be the end of it. Hopefully next year Progressive offers me a rate 20% less!

Have you tried this? How do your rates compare?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

We do the "shop around" at every renewal, and have been coming up with Geico every time for the last several years. If you believe the TV advertising, all the mentioned companies will be $350 -$500 higher than so and so. So, it seems that no matter which one is picked they will save you "X" amount.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I have been with Geico for years on my auto insurance. I had Progressive on my Suzuki but switched to Geico when I got my Harley 2 years ago.

I am up for renewal on the bike at $239 for full coverage for the year. Did some shopping and Progressive wanted $327. Allstate quoted me $565.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by radhak
        Somehow the math (or logic or commonsense) of this never makes sense to me.

I used to be with Allstate for auto insurance till two years ago, then Progressive offered me around $880 instead of the $1030 I was paying then to Allstate. (That's six month premium paid lumpsum at the beginning, for two cars of years 1999 and 2008).

Yesterday I switched back to Allstate because they offered a rate of $745 (as against Progressive's latest renewal rate of $940). I did call Progressive and asked them to match this offer, and the lady says "we cannot match for existing customers, sir".

So they are actively encouraging customers to keep switching agencies! Seems so contrary...

The difference is so much that I could even afford to spread the payment out to paid monthly (added around $52, or $8.50 per month).

While I'm happy to have a better choice, I know this may not be the end of it. Hopefully next year Progressive offers me a rate 20% less!

Have you tried this? How do your rates compare?
        You've figured out the trick. Existing customers rarely get discounts in the insurance, entertainment (TV, movie sub, etc) and many other industries because they know most won't bother switching or they cannot.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

We've been with Amica Insurance for many years. Anytime I've checked prices, they've been competitive, and any time we've needed to contact them or make a claim, they've been super helpful and more than fair. We even get a dividend check every year.

A few years ago I saw a poll that ranked them about 50th in size, and 1st in customer service....no argument from me.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Yes, same experience here. Florida is a messed up place when in comes to insurance.... there is so much fraud down here or at least that is what the insurance industry uses as its excuse to raise rates ~20% over a one year period. Shame of it is I had shopped around and the carrier (Geico) that was screwing me for the increase was still the cheapest. Well, close, progressive was going to be ~$40 cheaper per 6 month renewal but I asked the folks there if they had increased their rates due to fraud and they mentioned that they had not increased their reserves yet. The folks at Geico had told me that the governing agency in Florida had recommended that the insurers increase their reserves because of the fraud, Geico claimed that they had increased theirs but not to the extent that the government recommended. Does this mean that Progressive will be shafting their customers over the next year? Don't know, but it seemed likely so I stayed for the little extra. I hope that next renewal I get to stick it to that little lizard!

Rad, what coverages do you keep or recommend? I have reduced mine for the first time ever to keep these increases in check, but hate to do it. I was taught to always increase your coverage as you get older/make more money/own a home/have kids/etc. scenarios
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for reminding me. It's time for me to renew and time for me to check on lower rates. I haven't done that in years.

I just saved 30%!!! It does not pay to be complacent about these things.

I've been with Geico for 5+ years and just got quotes from 21st Century (we had them in CA) and Progressive. 21st was $100 less than Geico and included roadside and rental reimbursement (Geico didn't). Progressive was the same coverage as 21st but was another $100 cheaper! Progressive does include a one time $50 sign up discount but even when the policy renews in 6 months, I'm still going to be $150 less than Geico.
              Last edited by atgcpaul; 03-31-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• Brian G
                • Jun 2003
                • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                • G0899

"Nobody protects you from mayhem like Allstate."

They needed to think that through a bit.
                Brian

Comment

Working...