• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

granite sealer

I just got my granite counter top installed in one of my bathroom last week. My question is what is the best product to seal my granite counter top? How often should it be sealed? I have a black granite with a natural maple cabinet and brushed nickel faucet.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Find a tile shop that sells professional grade sealers. From my experience they last longer than the stuff you find at the box stores.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

There is a product for sealing granite, and you really do have to seal it. Even though your counter top is black and won't show stains as would a light color, it is something you should do at least once a year. I don't know if the stuff I use is sold GB, but if you ask the company who fabricated the counter, they'll know.. Bsides the sealing, which is quite easy, there is a granite polish that you should use too.

As an aside, I just purchased a granite topped table saw and I have to treat it like my kitchen counters. Now that's weird.
      Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I like this stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Mix-Enric.../dp/B0039ZUSUK
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• badbert
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2011

Not even pretending to know the answer... But can't you epoxy over granite?

Comment

• jwd12
            Established Member
            • Jun 2005
            • Dyer, In..
            • BT3100

Had granite counter tops installed in kitchen last year. My guess is that the supplier of the granite applied a sealer. Needs to be redone every year. Be careful about what is used to clean the tops. Most common cleaners will destroy the sealer and you will be left with stains. Guess what I am saying is read the instructions that came with the granite. Also don't leave a sliced lime on the counter top overnight, I did and it discolored the top.
            I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• Rand
              Established Member
              • May 2005
              • Vancouver, WA, USA.

This stuff: http://www.drytreat.com/Products/Pro...PROOF-Original

It stinks and you are supposed to wear a filter mask when you apply it but it works really well. Around here it retails for 95 dollars a pint. I found it wholesale for 65.
              Rand
              "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I haven't put anything on mine and it seems fine to me. It is dark green with gold (uba tuba) and I don't see stains. I have a slab on the island and granet tile on the counters and I don't think either have ever been sealed. The tile is about 12 years old and the slab around 5. If you have a light color, which you do not, or somebody in your house will go over it very closely and be disturbed if they notice something then you should probably seal. But my experience is that nothing terrible happens if you don't.

Jim

Comment

• jabe
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Hilo, Hawaii
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Thanks for the all the advice/recommendations.

Comment

Working...