Planning a week's vacation to Costa Rica - any advice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by cabinetman
    My first suggestion is to learn Spanish. I have an Army buddy that's been there many times. I'll get some info from him and post it for you.
    I got some tips...

Your friend is correct – one week is not enough. If he is going to jettison the beach, he actually may miss out on more wildlife than he will see in Monteverde or Arenal. I think both of those places are worth a visit but the sheer number of people trekking through that area reduce the total number of wildlife that is visible (No monkeys but lots of frogs and lizards, though). He may see some sloths and, if really lucky, a quetzal. Although the only quetzal I saw in Monteverde was gray through binoculars in the mist. I had much better luck with exotic birds in the San Gerardo de Dota to San Isidro de El General areas (I stayed at Albergue de Montana Savegre). He might want to consider checking out the Parque International La Amistad. Since I was there last a new highway has been completed from San Jose to the Quepos area on the Pacific coast. Other areas/national parks to consider are Parque National Chirripo and Parque National Corcovado, especially if he is interested in wildlife.

Comment

• TK421
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2006

Not to sound morbid, but my Aunt and Uncle took a trip there last April. While there my Uncle caught a bacterial lung infection. He fell into a coma and was too ill to be transported back to the US. He passed away after a month. Now here's the kicker. When you pass away in Costa Rica, by law you have to be either buried or cremated within 24 hours of death. It would have cost a fortune to get his body flown out of country before 24 hours was up so he was cremated. My Aunt couldn't bring my Uncles body home for the proper burial they had in mind. Very upsetting to her (on top of everything else).

Not writing this to be critical of Costa Rica. Lovely place. Wonderful People.

Lesson: Don't pass away in Costa Rica unless you want to be buried there or be cremated. (unless your rich enough).

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by cabinetman
        I got some tips...

Very good info, CMan! Definitely more than what I'd got elsewhere. I might tweak my itinerary likewise.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Sorry to hear about your uncle, TK. I hope your aunt found some peace of mind by now.
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

Working...