• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Glass in our future

It might just be promotional aimed at investors, but it is both incredible and believable.... some of us just might see all this become a regular thing in our lives

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...eZ38&vq=medium

if nothing else, a pretty slick video...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • thrytis
    • May 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Interesting video, and a neat view of things to come. It also makes me wonder if there will ever be a limit to the amount of high tech gadgets that we can stand being exposed to.

I find the video to be quite unbelievable though. Do couples seriously switch sides of the bed from night to night?
    Eric

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I think I'd invest in some Windex stock. Great video. Thanks.
      Lee

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

That is great but the one drawback is the current user interface programmers. Technology is and has been way ahead of the user interface as is in the functions of DVD and old VCR and even TV.

The photovoltaic glass - There is a subway from Roko Island to Kobe that has used that for at least back into the early and mid '90s. I saw a TV-Video display on clear glass hanging from the ceiling in a museum in the Nagoya area going back 4 years or so. It was neat.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• iceman61
          • Oct 2007
          • West TN
          • Bosch 4100-09

The TV incorporated into the bathroom mirror and the dimmable glass are already a reality. The whole video is very interesing.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

A very unique video of what the future may hold. Getting very techie. Maybe our Corning Ware will become collectible.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by iceman61
              The TV incorporated into the bathroom mirror and the dimmable glass are already a reality. The whole video is very interesing.
              That scene reminded me of the movie Spaceballs. A general is using the urinal when one of his female underlings gives him a ring.

The whole video reminded me a lot about Minority Report.

I have mixed feelings about a totally connected future. Now that I have a smartphone, I'm too reachable.

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                That is great but the one drawback is the current user interface programmers. Technology is and has been way ahead of the user interface as is in the functions of DVD and old VCR and even TV.
                I agree. The possibilities shown by the video are extremely slick - but getting everything to integrate in a consistent manner that would be necessary to achieve the potential is very unlikely. I don't even want to think about the cost and the setup required for all of that gear.
                Bill

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by os1kne
                  ...I don't even want to think about the cost and the setup required for all of that gear.
                  Don't worry. When it is available, you'll see it on This Old House first.

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

Pardon me if my skepticism is showing, but I still remember things like the GM pavillion at the 1964 Worlds Fair.

We would have jet packs by now, and so much leisure time that we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves.

Not to mention the tubes that all traffic would ride within, which would make it virtually impossible to have a crash.

I think I'll wait until the future is here.
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• iceman61
                      • Oct 2007
                      • West TN
                      • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                      Don't worry. When it is available, you'll see it on This Old House first.
                      If I'n not mistaken that might be where I saw the TV built into the bathroom mirror. Either there on DIY TV.

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

I have no doubt much of this is either old news or easily doable with today's technology.

There are two very impressive things about this video. First, it required a lot of imagination. Second, it connects with consumers by showing them how new products built around glass can change and/or improve their lives (assuming they want to be connected).

The industry I work in (electric power) used to do things like this, but it seems the folks who work there are more interested in pleasing their regulators than trying to please customers.

Comment

Working...