• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Confused Robins

We got our first snow of the year, about 9" in the past 2 days. I was really surprised when I spotted 25 to 30 robins in the back yard this morning.
    Attached Files
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Normally, we have trees full of blackbirds in the fall and through the winter. But this year, we have been having one tree and a couple of bushes full of Robins at night.

As you know, I have been in Japan for a long time but every 4 years or so I am home over winter. We have always had a problem with blackbirds. But this year, it has been robins. I don't ever remember seeing this many robins roosting in our largest backyard (cypress) tree at night.

About 6 weeks ago, I went out to my shop at night and carried my strong flashlight. Thinking I was going to see blackbirds filling the tree, I was totally surprised to see what seemed like a hundred red breasted robins.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

Ahhhh yes, Turdus Migratorius . . . the American Robin. One of my favorites. Should be an all year resident in your part of the world. You're right on the edge of their year round range. Most maps show the winter and year round ranges meeting at approximately the Canada-U.S. border.

I know! I know! TMI!
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

They're supposed to be here year 'round. But we normally don't spot any this early. They're hunkered down in the woods.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Dick, those are some exquisite bird pictures! Nice job!
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Ya gotta head to the bait shop and pick 'em up some worms! I don't think they can do much with snow on the ground.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

So that's where they all went....not single one in this neck of the woods.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

We have lived here 3 years and this is the first time they have been out and about this early. They are feeding on on berries on one of my trees and pooping all over the patio. Sure is nice to see them though.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

Robins

They always leave us in the fall and return in the spring. The earliest I have ever seen one here was groundhog day. Usually it is closer to March. I anxiously await their return.
                  Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...