• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

A math-related woodworking project

I did one of these with paper triangles with my son recently. This one, made of wood, looks quite easy to make, and I bet it would be a great project to do with kids.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201...les-again.html
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I was always pretty good at geometry but that hurts my head just thinkin' about it.
    Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

It looks more involved than it is. Not hard to make. A bit more challenging to assemble. IMO would be a good project for the two of you.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

It's funny that MAKE adds, "or just download this STL file and have your 3D
        printer make the model for you."

Yeah, let me go run out to my 3D printer and do that. Kinda' like when Norm
        would run all his work pieces through that enormous Timesaver sander as if
        everyone had one.

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          It's funny that MAKE adds, "or just download this STL file and have your 3D
          printer make the model for you."

Yeah, let me go run out to my 3D printer and do that. Kinda' like when Norm
          would run all his work pieces through that enormous Timesaver sander as if
          everyone had one.
          That's funny since the current TOH project features a house owned by a guy who either owns or works at a company that makes 3D printers.

I have a dumb question...once this is made, do you assemble it once and glue it, or is it a puzzle made to confound people? Obviously they have done a great job of confounding me already .
          Joe

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            It looks more involved than it is. Not hard to make. A bit more challenging to assemble.
            There's a version with four paper (card stock) triangles that we did -- three of them were cut so that they could interlock the others. It was a challenge getting it together the right way!

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            It's funny that MAKE adds, "or just download this STL file and have your 3D printer make the model for you."
            Yeah, they're really pushing the home maker movement. I've been seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of those 3D printers myself. Here's one on kickstarter with 11 days to go. The guy was initially trying to raise $25,000 to get started, and now with over 900 backers at around $500 a piece, he's up over $332,000! :-o So there's definitely demand out there...

Originally posted by JoeyGee
            ...do you assemble it once and glue it, or is it a puzzle made to confound people?
            Probably either way. For the paper one, once all the triangles were in the right orientation, everything kind of snapped into place (as you could imagine card stock "snapping"). It's as if all the pieces want to be in that configuration, and so once you get them almost there, they just go into that configuration and stay there.

I haven't done it in wood, though, so I don't know how different it might be... I have it on my list now!
            Last edited by Alex Franke; 12-06-2011, 09:38 AM. Reason: typos, added link
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

Here's a pattern for the card stock version that we did: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/201...triangles.html

Comment

Working...