• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

One man's trash...

So a couple weeks ago I was finishing my morning run and a neighbor was throwing out a gamer chair. This thing was in great condition, so I took it home and now have it posted on craigslist. It's nice, has two speakers and a sub-woofer built in. I can't believe he would just put it out with the trash.

So today I'm half-way through my 2 mile run and come across another trash can with work-mate folded up beside it. I think, "something must be broken on it." So I open it up and everything is perfect. No damage, bench dogs on it. Screws work well. So now I've got it sitting in my shop ready to go.

As they say, "one man's trash...."

Anyone else ever have any other good trash scores?
    Last edited by Shep; 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM.
    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

There's a dumpster near my shop that is shared by other shops. A few days before pick up I was seeing wood parts that looked like they were from a chair. So, I gathered up what was there and the parts were from a Mahogany rocking chair.

I thought what the heck, and figured I'd do something with them when I had the time. About six months later I had a lull, and LOML kept asking about the chair. So, I started on it. Many pieces were broken and missing. This is the finished chair. LOML was very happy.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

a 10" c-man RAS. support arm wouldn't pivot. i invested $60 in parts and now it works like a charm. wouldn't be without it.

the ridgid stand and h-lift were mine (HD clearances), but the RAS, dating from the mid 60s, is a really great tool to have around.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

One man's trash....

Had a similar incident happen to me one day while at the county recycling
        center. I went there to off load some junk that wasn't needed anymore, I looked around at the metal recycling area next to me, lo and behold what
        did I find..... a scroll saw only missing the blade. I loaded it into my truck
        took it into the shop plugged it in and it ran perfectly! I installed a blade
        and it was ready to cut....cleaned it up and good as new, go figure....
        One man's trash .....another's treasure!

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I don't think I'd do that now, mostly for time considerations and the social stigma. Also, a LOT of stores have self-contained dumpsters and trash compactors. But, when I was in college I would regularly go dumpster diving.

I've definitely has some good scores. From computer/ office stores, I've found a fully functioning video card, various parts (mostly damaged on purpose- sadly enough) that could still be used by an ingenuitive computer modder (as I was), computer cases, ink cartridges (some even new in package), cables, LOTs of stuff. I once found a chair in the back of a furniture store that was bradn new in package. The only issue was that one of the rivets on a pivot point had missed the through hole in the leg. Screw out the rivot and replace with a bolt- and walla! brand new chair! Then I found other furniture like cabinets, desks, bed rails (which were used for shelves), aluminum rods, which I moded for shelf supports. Lamps, candle holders, vases. I've given some of it away as an extra gift for family too. Books! Behind used book stores I've found DUMPTERS FULL of used books that they obviously couldn't sell. Magazines behind new bookstores (never the "fun" kind). all sorts of stuff.

Only twice did I have an issue... i.e. stopped by the police. Not fun, but after they found out I didn't break into anyplace or steal anything, there wasn't an issue. Just don't cut a lock for a dumpster- as that constitutes breaking and entering.

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I have no problem buying used stuff. LOML is more likely to pick up something useful that's been left on the curb.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I've gotten lots of stuff curbside. Our neighbor across the street used to just pitch everything once their kids outgrew them. I scored a ton of stuff that I just put on CL. Bikes, motorized scooters, Little Tikes climbers. Sadly, their house was foreclosed on and they are no longer here...
              Joe

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Shep
                Anyone else ever have any other good trash scores?
                I can't think of anything. However, when I was an adolescent, my cousin
                found a bunch of discarded, but in like-new condition Playboys. It was a
                good summer.

Originally posted by eezlock
                Had a similar incident happen to me one day while at the county recycling
                center. I went there to off load some junk that wasn't needed anymore, I looked around at the metal recycling area next to me,
                I wish! I'm looking for a free/cheap ~1hp motor. Our drop off center is really
                strict about dumpster diving what others have left for trash. Maybe I'll try the
                fake dropoff.

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Our county is having a cleanup weekend and I put out some extra flowerpots and other misc. stuff. It's been interesting to see the number of cars and pickups cruising the neighborhood this afternoon. Half our pile is gone already.
                  Last edited by BobSch; 10-01-2011, 09:26 AM.
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by BobSch
                    Our county is having a cleanup weekend and I put out some extra flowerpots and other misc. stuff. It's been interesting to see the number of cars and pickup cruising the neighborhood this afternoon. Half our pile is gone already.
                    We have bulk pickup once a month. We get cruisers that stop and take what they want and leave stuff they don't.

Comment

• Ozzie
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.

I was doing some landscaping and was thinking about going to the Big Orange to buy a wheelbarrow. On my way to BO a house one block away from me had a wheelbarrow sitting at the curb with a bunch of other junk. I went and asked the homeowner if they were throwing it away and if so could I have it. She said "yes" and I took it home. Put air in the tire and it has worked perfectly for me. Just have to add air to the tire every six months or so.

Ozzie
                      Ozzie

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        We have bulk pickup once a month. We get cruisers that stop and take what they want and leave stuff they don't.

By the time the official truck came by there was only 3 items out of 15 or 20 on our original pile. I found I tended to put out some things I wouldn't just throw away, but I put them out because I know they would be grabbed by someone who could use them.
                        Last edited by BobSch; 10-03-2011, 04:18 PM.
                        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Back in the late '80s and to through the '90s, Americans, or rather most foreigners were known as "gomi hunters" as we hunted through people's trash (In Japan) on big trash day.

We have seen barely used ski's, Japanese dolls in cases in new condition, (which we usually collated, and great working TVs and other electronics, large and powerful stereo amps and pre-amps, old wood items, chairs, bicycles in good shape, and more.

In the last 10 years, in large cities there has been a change to recycling at recycling centers. Most communities now charge for anything larger than can fit in a trash bag. And, even the trash bags that can be used - must be purchased (with the community's name on it). Without the community's name on the bag, it will not be picked up. And if that kind of trash is not scheduled for that day, It will not be picked up. And believe me, they know who put something out that doesn't belong to that day's trash.

When we left Japan, we checked on getting rid of lots of items. Discarding sofas, TVs and other large items required us calling the city office and getting a list of people who will pick those items up. Cost was somewhere between $50 to $100 per item. We ended up giving most away to other foreigners in the area rather than paying to have it hauled off.
                          Last edited by leehljp; 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                            I've gotten lots of stuff curbside. Our neighbor across the street used to just pitch everything once their kids outgrew them. I scored a ton of stuff that I just put on CL. Bikes, motorized scooters, Little Tikes climbers. Sadly, their house was foreclosed on and they are no longer here...
                            I'll bet that was a surprise to you!
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• sscherin
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

That's sort of how I got my current BT..

I was at the scrap yard looking for a bag that fit my push mower and saw a BT3000 sitting there with the rails and side table still on it.

I asked the owner about it and he let me have the saw for $25..
                              I got it home and found the motor was going out on it..

Hit CL for the next couple weekends and found another BT with bad belts for $40..

I sold the extra rails, salvaged the belts and other parts from the scrap yard BT and I'm into the current saw about $30

Another time I cam home and saw the neighbors lawn mower on the curb with a free sign.. This thing was about 2 years old.. I double checked with him to see whats up and he said it wouldn't start so he bought a new one. Took it over to my garage, pulled the plug and found the strap was crushed flat on the electrode.. I gaped it and it fired right up..
                              Tried to take it back but he still didn't want it so I gave it to the young couple next door.

Current;y I'm keeping all my drill bits and lathe tools in a file cabinet the folks down the block set out for free.

I have a 3/4 horse Dayton motor on the shelf from a saw I got at a free yard sale.
                              Saw was junk but the motor was new.
                              William's Law--
                              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

Working...