• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Virgin Mobile $35 Unlimited Plan?

Anyone have this plan? What do you think about it? Do you have to use their phone? Any gotchas in the unlimited plan? I want a smartphone for convenience and won't be doing heavy streaming.
  • jbrain
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • roseville california
    • Bt3100

We have the $25.00 plan for my daughter. Unlimited texts and internet but only 300 minutes talk time. The service has been fine. It's actually $25/mo with NO extra taxes, fees. Works well, have had it almost 2 years if I recall.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

JB, how do you have $25? Old plan? I only see $35 option.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jbrain
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2007
        • roseville california
        • Bt3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
        I'm only seeing the $35 /mo too. Almost 2 year old plan, will have to check with the boss to see if it went up to $35, I hope not.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, I have been loathe to change as well.... have a family plan with two phones 500 anytime minutes with unlim nights and weekends, but nothing else its getting a bit antiquated but its cheap, all told out the door its about $57 so its been a tough sell to get a new plan with text/web/email....

Comment

• jking
            • May 2003
            • Des Moines, IA.
            • BT3100

I do not have the unlimited plan, but, have had Virgin Mobile for ~6 yrs. I have an old by the minute plan that serves me quite well. I would have upgraded to the unimited plan, but, there are gaps in their coverage map here. They use Sprint's digital network, so, if you get away from a metro area or interstate, the service drops off. I have not had any problems with the their service. The call quality isn't the greatest.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Thats a good point, I noticed that their map's coverage versus tmobile's map was much sparser outside of the major cities and corridors. Kinda like, if you went hunting and shot yourself in the leg, would you have service

Comment

• jbrain
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007
                • roseville california
                • Bt3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                Just checked and we ARE on the $25/mo. service. I haven't seen any notices of a rate increase so I guess we are "grandfathered" in?

Voice quality is OK, my daughter uses it primarily to send thousands of texts daily.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Yes, VM just changed the $25/mo to $35/mo a few months ago. That is for the 300 voice minutes, unlimited data/text. As long as you had this plan prior, and don't let it lapse for 2 months, you are grandfathered in.

We got in just before the change. LOML and I both use it and LOVE it. We each have the Optimus V (you do need to buy the phone) which is now down to $100, and worth every penny.

We don't use many voice minutes, and we still have a landline, so this is perfect for us. The only thing better would be free mobile to mobile minutes, but it's fine as is. I LOVE not having a contract, and the $25 a month IS $25 a month, with no extra taxes and fees tacked on. You can often find VM air time on sale, and we buy those cards at Kroger, or somewhere else where we get fuel points .

My BIL recently joined his wifes Sprint plan, and had to pay $300 for a "free" phone and a bunch of other BS taxes, just to share 700 voice minutes with others, plus $50/month. He still doesn't believe we get such a great deal. AND, we use the SAME Sprint towers . It's almost too good to last. I think it's still a steal at $35/mo.
                  Joe

Comment

• frumper64
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Garland, Tx, USA.

One more with the grandfathered $25 plan (300 minutes, unlimited web and texting). As long as you can live with Sprint, it's a pretty good deal. I used to have T-Mobile and miss their much better coverage, but I wasn't willing to pay for their data plans. Virgin Mobile does have more 3G "outages" than my son gets with AT&T on his Iphone, but for the price, I can live with the occasional inconvenience. I have the LG Optimus phone (yes, it is specific to VM) and it also will connect to WIFI, so that is always a nice backup if the 3G network goes down while I am at home. My wife has had a minutes plan with Virgin Mobile for pushing 10 years and has always been satisfied, but she rarely uses her phone anyway.
                    Jim
                    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

Working...