• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I'm Going For It!

It's been almost a year since my knee injury (see thread). LOML has finally talked me into getting the surgery. It's amazing how long we sometimes go with discomfort. So, next week I'm scheduled for an MRI, for some inside info.

• RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Mike, you'll be in our thoughts

for a quick and painless recovery if you go for the surgery. Keep us posted as to how you're be doing. You know right after the surgery you shouldn't go sky-diving...
    May you have a speedy get well sir.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by RAFlorida
      for a quick and painless recovery if you go for the surgery. Keep us posted as to how you're be doing. You know right after the surgery you shouldn't go sky-diving...
      May you have a speedy get well sir.
      Thanks for the thoughts. I'm thinking maybe all my Army jumps could have been a contributor. I've got to tell you that if I got called back to active duty (I won't likely due to age), and the mission was to jump I would.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

From what I hear today and even from my experience a long time ago, the pain of surgery and rehab are nothing compared to the long term of not having it.

Praying for you!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Sweet Willy
          Established Member
          • May 2011
          • Near Chattanooga, TN
          • ridgid 3650

I had the same surgery and I'm glad I had it done. Wasn't the most painful I've ever had. full recovery will take awhile, but now I do everything I did before and even more. I'm 67 riding four wheelers, working in the shop, working on my truck and anything else I want to do. Have at it man, you'll be glad you did.
          In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
          Dennis

Sweet Willy
          sigpic

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

You will be glad you had it taken care of. A torn meniscus, what is commonly and mistakenly called a torn cartlidge, is usually an easy fix.

I had one repaired in my left knee in '95. Have another tear in the same knee now that it is being treated with steroid injections until I decide to have the surgery. The hold up is getting the paperwork through the mill as a reoccuring injury through workers comp.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Pappy
              You will be glad you had it taken care of. A torn meniscus, what is commonly and mistakenly called a torn cartlidge, is usually an easy fix.

I had one repaired in my left knee in '95. Have another tear in the same knee now that it is being treated with steroid injections until I decide to have the surgery. The hold up is getting the paperwork through the mill as a reoccuring injury through workers comp.
              Is the VA an option for you?

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

The VA could be an option but the first injury was workers comp so this should be automatically. Should it be denied, or the surgery isn't done by a local Ortho, my preference is to go to Brooks Army Medical Center.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Dal300
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2011
                  • East Central Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I had knee surgery about 4 years ago, one knee turned out great, the other knee is worse than it ever was. I'm not blaming the Dr., it was probably my fault for carrying in a new TV set my wife bought the same day I had the surgery. (No option, the Top was stuck down on the car and it was raining).
                  Eventually I'll have to go back and have it done again, but this time, no furniture moving!

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Russell, NY, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah, the relief of the surgery and what ever pain is involved will be a minor thing to the relief of not having the pain in your knee 24/7 before the surgery. Had that surgery done about 4 years ago after putting up with escalating pain for 6 months. Good luck and do what the Doc says about activities.
                    RuffSawn
                    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

You know that I've got your back!!
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

Cab,

I wish you the best.

I'm 67 [until next week], and I would jump again in a minute. It seems to me that jumping was the best part of my years in the 101st.

The only jump injury I had was a cracked tail bone, that still pains me when I sit or drive for a long time. On one of the Swift Strikes, a reserve C-130 pilot let us out over a mile away from the DZ. I had to slip to avoid the woods. Then, I had to lift my legs to avoid a barbed wire fence, and hit on my behind in a furrowed field. I hit so hard that I knocked the heel off one of my Cochran jump boots.

I was an artillery surveyor, who mostly rode in trucks. This time I was an FO attached to an infantry outfit. I didn't want to justify the infantry's feeling that we weren't very tough, so I limped along, carrying my gear and a PRC9, for a very painful couple of weeks. Oh to be young and stupid again.

When I was clearing post just before my discharge, I was asked if I sustained any injuries. The catch was, if you said yes, they kept you a couple of weeks to a month, for "further evaluation". As a result they had very few injuries.

Steve
                        Last edited by scmhogg; 09-26-2011, 01:41 PM. Reason: sp
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by scmhogg
                          Cab,

When I was clearing post just before my discharge, I was asked if I sustained any injuries. The catch was, if you said yes, they kept you a couple of weeks to a month, for "further evaluation". As a result they had very few injuries.

Steve
                          Thanks for the thoughts, and thanks to all that have responded. The end of my military career was pretty much the same. I think of all I went through in training and service without incident. It was likely the onset of the problems I have now.

It was an injury that didn't sit well with a re-enlistment. The de-briefing was more of a guilt trip laid on not to apply for Army disability. If I had applied, I would have received a check probably forever which would have been a good filler for the slow times in business. Be that as it may, I have no regrets, and have no ill feelings towards the Army.

Comment

• Rand
                            Established Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Best of luck to you.
                            Rand
                            "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• billwmeyer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Weir, Ks, USA.
                              • BT3000

Good luck on the surgery. I am sure it will be worth it.

A knee injury in high school football made me 4-F and kept me out of Nam. I still limp on it today. I know a knee replacement(s) is in my future, I just try to push the future back as far as I can.

Again, good luck!

Bill
                              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...