• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Anybody feel the earth move?

Hope nobody was hurt during today's quake.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

yep. I was on the 2nd floor of the lab. I thought someone was delivering a dewar of liquid nitrogen but when I looked around, I saw noone. Plumbers were installing a safety shower on the 1st floor and I thought maybe they were really going at it. But then it really started to shake and my coworkers and I got out of there.

I used to live in CA and have experienced quakes before. To me, every one has been different but this was different because an earthquake in DC? Weird.

Comment

• Shep
      • Nov 2008
      • Columbus, OH
      • Hitachi C10FL

We felt it at my office in Newark, OH (East of Columbus) I thought I was getting a little woosey after lunch. Almost like a motion sickness. Then I realized it wasn't my head but the building moving slightly with the ground. I've never experienced one before, but at least it wasn't more severe here.
      -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• mineengineer
        Established Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
        • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

I felt it too South of Pittsburgh

Was at work in a second floor office and felt it pretty good....lasted a good 20-30 seconds ...lady I share an office with thought it was a truck going by but I told her it was an earthquake....she didnt believe it because we dont have earthquakes in Pittsburgh. Guys that work in the labs downstairs didnt notice it because all of their equipment, lab floors and furniture is vibration dampened. A few bricks came off of chimneys in the area but a good wind could have knocked them down also......lots of old unmaintained masonry in the da burgh.
        Link

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

People here in Montgomery, AL that work in some of the multistory buildings claim to have felt it. A friend of mine that works on the 12th floor of one of the buildings claimed that the tower felt like it moved, and her entire staff was a little disoriented and nauseous after it.

My wife told me last night that our German Shepherd went absolutely crazy right about the time of the quake. I guess since he was outside having a little "private time," he may have felt it our sensed it through the ground.

I didn't feel it myself. I was actually driving at the time on a road that could use a little maintenance.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Skaning
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2010

We were about 80 miles or so from the center. Sort of came in two stages. Initial shake and we thought that the marines/navy in the base across the river were training again. Seemed a bit much though. Then the second wave hit and we figured it was either an earthquake or something serious had let go. House shook about half a dozen times and it was over. Interestingly, local TV didn't interrupt the soap operas but CNN was on it almost immediately. Did take them about an hour to report that there were two nuke power plants very near the center.

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

anybody feel the earth move?

Yes, I did! It only lasted a few seconds and then stopped. I was on my computer and felt the shake and saw my monitor move a little and tried to figure out what was happening....no damage to anything as far as I can tell.

Other parts of Charlotte reported about the same thing according to the news
              last night.

Comment

• jking
                • May 2003
                • Des Moines, IA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                I used to live in CA and have experienced quakes before. To me, every one has been different but this was different because an earthquake in DC? Weird.
                Quakes are rare on the east coast. I did however experience a small one (~2.0) back in 97 or 98. I was living & working in Manassas, VA. I though a truck bumped the side of the building, it was just a loud thud. One of my co-workers talked to his wife; whe told him there had been an earth quake. We didn't really believe her until we heard it on the radio.

Comment

• pecker
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2003

That's what she said.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

I didn't feel a thing. But we have relatives at Quantico, Va, and Manhattan, NY, that said they felt the shock.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

I haven't felt it shaking here, but I sure did in Japan!
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Carole King felt it 40 years before it happened.

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

We actually had a small tremor last night here about 1 a.m.,Reason I know is my cocker spaniel was keepin the wife and I up by constantly jumpin on and off and under the bed. Last time he acted that way we had those terrible tornado's that hit Ala. and Ga. and he did the same thing. So I got up and logged on to the NOAA website and checked the radar and saw zip/nada/zero. Then I checked here, http://geophysics.eas.gatech.edu/GTE....php?STAT=TLLS , and saw this around 1 a.m.Good thing our dog has sensitive ears otherwise we might miss out or get hit by something

Comment

Working...