• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Screenshot software?

I have a project that requires me to insert some "screenshots" of some portions of what one would see on their computer screen into a document for a user guide. This is probably not something that I'll need to use much, so I don't want to spend much money on it. Basically, I need something that will allow me to create a .jpg of a portion of a screen that I define. Mostly in Internet Explorer, but if able to work with any software that would be a bonus.

Any recommendations for those that have done this?

Thanks!
    Bill
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Alt+Print Screen takes a screenshot of the active program. You can then use MS Paint to crop the image and save as a Jpg (just Paste the image into the MS Paint program).

Cost= Free.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Yep 'Print Screen' works for screenshots. It will put it on the clipboard in windows. I don't have to use Alt in XP though. I'll use photoshop to crop and edit mine.

If you want to do recordings or set up a screenshot window Camtasia is a pretty good product. Sounds like 'Print Screen' and a editor is all you really need.
      Erik

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

If you're using Word or Powerpoint to make the document, after pasting the
        screenshot in, you can do the cropping right in Word or Powerpoint. There's
        no need to use a 3rd party.

There is a caveat to this approach, though, although the uncropped portion
        is not visible on the screen, it is still there and if the end user gets the
        original document, they can view the original screenshot, not just the
        cropped view--you might have cropped away sensitive information or if
        you're doing tabbed browsing, they'll be able to see all the other website
        tabs you're viewing. Word and Powerpoint also let you eliminate the
        uncropped areas. While the image is selected, you double click on it, and
        you have the option to "Compress" the image. When you click on that
        button, another window will popup. In the options section, make
        sure "Delete cropped areas of pictures" is checked. Click OK. When you click
        OK again on the Format Picture popup box, your image has all the uncropped
        areas permanently trimmed away.

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by pelligrini
          Yep 'Print Screen' works for screenshots. It will put it on the clipboard in windows. I don't have to use Alt in XP though. I'll use photoshop to crop and edit mine.
          While "Print Screen" will take a screenshot of everything, Print Screen + ALT will take a screen shot of only the active program. I've found that slight change in functionality to be very helpful.
          Last edited by BigguyZ; 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by os1kne
            I have a project that requires me to insert some "screenshots" of some portions of what one would see on their computer screen into a document for a user guide.
            Snagit is application that most businesses use. It works better than the rest, and offers a 30 day free trial.
            http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/default.asp

giveawayoftheday offers capture software for free from time to time.
            http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dwitzke
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2003

If you are using Windows 7 - the Snipping Tool is included just for this purpose.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                While "Print Screen" will take a screenshot of everything, Print Screen + ALT will take a screen shot of only the active program. I've found that slight change in functionality to be very helpful.
                Cool, didn't know that. Sure would have saved me a lot of cropping. I'm always cropping a lot as just 'Print Screen' will capture my entire dual monitor setup. I wish you would have told me sooner.

Originally posted by woodturner
                Snagit is application that most businesses use. It works better than the rest, and offers a 30 day free trial.
                http://www.techsmith.com/snagit/default.asp
                They are also the makers of Camtasia. They put out some good programs.
                Last edited by pelligrini; 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM.
                Erik

Comment

• natausch
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • Aurora, IL
                  • BT3000 - 15A

Snaggit is about the best out there, especially if you need to add notes to the screenshot or manipulate it in any way. There is a 30 day trial, but if you plan on using it more it's more than worth the $50. Otherwise every few months they offer a key to download earlier versions for free.

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Another +1 for SnagIt.

If all you need is a really basic capture capability the built-in functionality of windows (particularly Win7) will work fine. But there are a lot of extra features and capability in SnagIt. The ability to work with scrolling windows, animated menu selections, easy boxing/arrow/text overlay and even the simple pop-up pixel-peeper view when selecting an area are all great features.

That said, I'm not sure I'd grab a copy at $50 for personal use if I wasn't producing a large number of screen captures/documents. However, in a large corporate environment the cost per copy is <$10 and it seems like a great value at that point.

It looks like version 10 is current but most of the functionality has been in the tool for several versions and (at least) version 8 and newer (and maybe older?) work on Win7. So if you can find one of the deals that natausch was talking about for a free version of an older release it's well worth grabbing a copy.

Comment

• RAV2
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Massachusetts

Printkey 2000

Used for many years on all sorts of windows platforms:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html

Comment

• RodKirby
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002