• Show
Clear All
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

3d copying?

Maybe I'm just getting old (well, no maybe about it!), but this blew my mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZboxMsSz5Aw

I guess this is real?
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

That was great! It's about time. I have been dreaming of this kind of machine since the first time I saw a Xerox in the '60s.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

It has been around for a while. Jay Leno has a version that he uses to make parts that are damaged or they only have drawings of.

The material still has some way to go for heavy duty use.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Need it done in metal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20R9nItDmPY
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Fabbers are really cool, the z150 sells for nearly 15k, not bad for a company that needs lots of prototypes... for hobbyist's its still pretty esoteric in its pricing and requirements to go from sketch to build. I don't think everyone here can render in cad right?
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Sweet Willy
            Established Member
            • May 2011
            • Near Chattanooga, TN
            • ridgid 3650

So... if I put in my old pinup photo of Marilyn Monroe...
            In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
            Dennis

Sweet Willy
            sigpic

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

It's much cheaper and requires much less skill than making prototypes on a milling machine.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I mentioned in the other thread "3D printing", about the "MakerBot" which uses an extrusion process method of building ABS plastic components. It's certainly not the highly detailed example that we see here with the powder-like build, but it's pretty neat none-the-less.

A MakerBot kit retails for around $1300 and ABS plastic filament is fairly inexpensive, and the finished 3D objects are fairly durable... perhaps more so than the powder-build.

Perhaps the biggest advantage for the homeshop folks is that you can use SketchUp to design the objects and then go through a short conversion to input to the MakerBot.

Check it out: www.makerbot.com

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• herb fellows
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • New York City
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  Fabbers are really cool, the z150 sells for nearly 15k, not bad for a company that needs lots of prototypes... for hobbyist's its still pretty esoteric in its pricing and requirements to go from sketch to build. I don't think everyone here can render in cad right?
                  Well, everyone here has THE ABILITY to render in cad, we just need the knowledge:-)
                  You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...