• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Another Computer Problem

Several days ago, the search function in Outlook 2010 quit working. The search works fine in Word, so the problem is specific to Outlook. I am running the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

I Googled the problem but could not find a solution that works. The Email program seems to be working fine--except for the search function. I have already deleted and rebuilt the index and checked on a few registry settings but nothing seems to correct the problem. Some suggestions referred to upgrades of Windows and/or Office. Mine was a clean install of both Windows and Office.

It was working fine a few days ago and I don't recall any changes or updates that could have changed the settings. Anyone have a solution?
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

No solution - but, join the club .

I have a 2 week old Dell laptop - Win 7, 64 bit professional, Office 2010 professional.

Outlook 2010 has some weird problems - and my Google searches indicate they have all been around for some time. Some very weird solutions too.

I guess we just have to wait for a service pack for Office...

Having said that - I LOVE Win 7 and 8GB of memory. IE 9 just flys
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

And gentlemen, that's just why I own Mac's
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• parnelli
        • Aug 2004
        • bt3100

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
        And gentlemen, that's just why I own Mac's
        Because when it's partially outdated you just chuck the whole thing and get another?

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by parnelli
          Because when it's partially outdated you just chuck the whole thing and get another?
          That is one thing I like about the Macs vs the Wintel machines I have had, including ThinkPads - the Macs last twice as long and longer. Shucks, I still have a full working 15 year old 8600, a 2000 model laptop and a 2004 laptop. Granted, they won't run the latest OS but the machines are still running.

My 2003 HP is in some junk yard in Japan, my 2004 ThinkPad (Last of IBM's laptops) bit the dust two years ago. My oldest daughter and her husband each goes through a laptop and desktop (Wintel) every two years. They don't keep the hardware long enough to solve software problems!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• TCOTTLE
            Established Member
            • May 2009
            • Greenbush Maine
            • Ryobi BT3000

In Office2k3 there was a repair function.
            I can look into it further when I get home, if you need me to.
            You might also check to make sure it is searching the correct locations - if you are in the contacts area, by default it only searches contacts.
            Did you try clicking the start button, and typing into that search area the terms you are looking for? Win7 Indexes all of your office information in its desktop search engine as well.

Comment

• TCOTTLE
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Greenbush Maine
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
              That is one thing I like about the Macs vs the Wintel machines I have had, including ThinkPads - the Macs last twice as long and longer. Shucks, I still have a full working 15 year old 8600, a 2000 model laptop and a 2004 laptop. Granted, they won't run the latest OS but the machines are still running.

My 2003 HP is in some junk yard in Japan, my 2004 ThinkPad (Last of IBM's laptops) bit the dust two years ago. My oldest daughter and her husband each goes through a laptop and desktop (Wintel) every two years. They don't keep the hardware long enough to solve software problems!
              My firts intel class system is still running as a linux router
              It is not what hardware you run, but the software you run on it, IMHO.

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by leehljp

What Lee said. I used my first Mac (a vintage Mac Plus bought new in 1985) for nine years and bought a new one not because I needed it, but because I wanted one.

[soapbox]

I still keep a PowerMac 6100 around for playing vintage OS 8 & 9 games. Our oldest laptop is an eight year old PowerBook G4 and still going strong. For me at least, the "it's-a-closed-system-you-can't-change-the-hardware" is moot, since most ordinary people have no inclination to open the case. I just prefer my box work when I turn it on, no driver issues, no Registry issues, no cheesy UI.

The worst hardware failures I've ever had were hard drive crashes, which are just a matter of time no matter what hardware you own.

[/soapbox]

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• alpha
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Since my original post was hijacked, I thought I would report on how I resolved the problem anyway.

1. I deleted Google Desktop.
                  2. I repaired Office 2010 by going to Control Panel, Programs & Features, MS Office, Repair.
                  3. I re-indexed Outlook by opening Outlook, File, Options, Search, Indexing Options, Advanced, Rebuild.

I am not sure which of these solved the problem, and it could have been the combination together that finally worked. I know that I did #3 several times before trying the other solutions, and it did not correct the problem.

I hope this will help someone who has this problem. For those who are not aware, the "search" function in Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 are MAJOR improvements over prior versions.

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                    Established Member
                    • May 2009
                    • Greenbush Maine
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Glad you were able to get it sorted out

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Good to hear it's fixed. Sorry about the hijack.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...