• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

I'm so ashamed...

I went under the piano to adjust a sloppy pedal, and noticed that one of three the pedal levers was made from a beautiful curly maple. I could not resist... I disassembled it, pulled it out, and made a replacement from a much more boring board. Soon I'll be making some new pens!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

So is there an issue? who is going to know the Piano?, the person who plays it? Enjoy the new pens, that's what is important.

Tom

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
      So is there an issue? who is going to know the Piano?, the person who plays it? Enjoy the new pens, that's what is important.

Tom
      Any competent pianist can tell that the pedal lever is now different! Boring wood has a different feel than maple! You might need to replace all three pedal levers with ebony now so the family pianist is mollified.

I kinda hate to say this since I love musical instruments, but you're putting that chunk of maple to much better use. Maybe you can "tune" the pens…

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• bullethead1964
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • texas
        • Craftsman (Emerson era)

#1 that is wicked funny #2 wow, what a quality piano!!!!!
        I said I want to touch the earth
        I want to break it in my hands
        I want to grow something wild and unruly

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2006
          • Pittsburgh, PA
          • BT3100

Being a piano technician, I have probably seen more beautiful figured wood inside pianos where nobody but the piano technician ever sees it than I have in lumberyards. Even today, curly or birdseye maple will occasionally show up in hidden-away parts of new pianos. And that's not counting parts that were meant to be seen. I'm sure Dale Probst has seen a lot also. Back then, maple was maple, maple was cheap, and it probably seemed inexhaustible.

If it was the middle pedal, it probably won't be used very much if at all, so your pilfering won't probably make much of a difference. If it is the right or left pedal, the adjustment is simple but can be a little bit finicky, so have your piano technician check it out the next time you have the piano tuned, just to be sure that it is functioning optimally.

When possible, I do try to snatch some nicely figured parts whenever a piano has to be junked. For that matter, any unfigured wood that can be reused often ends up in my shop as well. So, I can see where you are coming from.

Enjoy those pens,

Joe

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

As we speak, we are sending your picture to all the museums that have furniture on display. You just can't be too careful with the likes of you :-)
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

No piano....

Antique Wurlitzer organ....

Belonged to Boss's dad....

She would probably make me dig my own grave in 105 temps....

Time to hit free section of C/L!!!!!!!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

We both play it, and it doesn't sound or feel any different, but I still feel a bit like I've plundered an innocent instrument of some internal beauty. Bah -- enough of that. I'm over it.

My guess is that the people assembling the pianos probably don't even look at the pieces they're putting in. If it's the right size, has the right holes, and was found in the right bin, they they use it -- no matter if it's made of SYP or B&W ebony.

Thanks for the tip, Joe. I'll ask him to take a look.
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's hilarious! Talk about that turning vortex, huh?

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Pittsburgh, PA
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Joe DeFazio
                    Being a piano technician, I have probably seen more beautiful figured wood inside pianos where nobody but the piano technician ever sees it than I have in lumberyards. Even today, curly or birdseye maple will occasionally show up in hidden-away parts of new pianos.
                    Hey Alex,

Case in point! I tuned this one today. About 60 years old, American. The trapwork lever (pedal beam) had tight, even curl throughout its 1"x2"x30" length:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	CurlyMapleTrapworkLever.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	785764
                    Similar to yours?
                    Last edited by Joe DeFazio; 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM. Reason: added missing character from dimensions

Comment

• BrazosJake
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Benbrook, TX.
                      • Emerson-built Craftsman

Just hope that one of your descendants doesn't take it on antiques roadshow and find out it's a rare 18th-century SchnitzelGruben that would be worth $500,000 had great-uncle Joe not replaced the original pedal.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Chapel Hill, NC
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Joe DeFazio
                        Case in point! I tuned this one today. About 60 years old, American. The trapwork lever (pedal beam) had tight, even curl throughout its 1"x2"x30" length
                        Yes! Almost exactly -- except that mine was on the una corda pedal. What a coincidence! Actually, I'm not sure what the pedal really is... I think maybe it's not una corda because nothing shifts. Instead the hammers just move closer to the strings. (The middle one was new to me, too; it just drops a piece of felt down between the strings and hammers.)

I've added "trapwork" and "pedal beam" to my vocabulary now. Thanks!

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                        Just hope that one of your descendants doesn't take it on antiques roadshow and find out it's a rare 18th-century SchnitzelGruben that would be worth $500,000 had great-uncle Joe not replaced the original pedal.
                        Yes, that would be just my luck. I hear they only made 15 of those... I don't think that will be a problem in this case, though.

Comment

Working...