• Show
Clear All
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

woodworking shows on TV

Hi friends. quick question... Are there any woodworking shows on TV anymore? Seriously, when Marks and Norm retired, what is left? Underhill is still on I think, but I rarely get to catch that show anymore due to the time slot.

What are y'all watching when you have the time?
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The "Woodsmith Shop" is scheduled in this area on Public TV. I haven't seen it in a while.

Comment

• schloff
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Southern Middle TN

That is Roy Underhill, I believe. I can get him on occasion, too. If I am around for that time slot.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by schloff
        That is Roy Underhill, I believe. I can get him on occasion, too. If I am around for that time slot.
        Roy's show is The Woodwright's Shop on PBS.

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

American Woodshop and Rough Cut with Tommy Mac. These are on two different PBS stations in area.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Short answer......

NOT REALLY!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• schloff
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Southern Middle TN

That's what I was thinking. they used to be on all the time in some fashoin or other. I realy enjoy watching those shows.
              For some reason, I always fell asleep during the Router Workshop. Without fail. But at least it was on...

Comment

• themachine
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Cincinnati, OH
                • BT3100, General Intl. 220

In Cincinnati we actually have a broad spectrum of shows on PBS. Of course the new Norm show, Rough Cut, plus the show with Scott Phillips, The American Woodworker. One of my favorites is the Woodsmith Shop, which is a take off of the Woodsmith magazine. It is fairly basic, but absolutely full of good tips and refreshers. And the Woodwright show.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

We get the Woodsmith Shop, The Woodwrights Shop, Roughcut and the American Woodshop. At one time, we also had the Router Workshop and NYW.

The WS is OK and the Roy Underhill is interesting, but more for historical aspects than anything else.

I used to like the American Woodshop, but some time around when he started his barn/workshop, something changed with SP's pace and demeanor, and it seems faster and more jittery. I can't watch a whole episode.

I saw the thread on Rough Cut before I saw the show. I thought there is no way the show could be that bad, especially with no other show to watch. Man, it is that bad and more. That host is terrible.

I watch more on YouTube and found I like SteveinMarin, among others.

So this is the long answer, which is the same as Pappy's response.
                  Joe

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

I miss ole knothead & Router Workshop. Enjoyed it and learned a lot on how to use a router. We don't subscribe to PBS any as the don't carry the probrams we enjoyed. The still have good programs but not the ones we enjoy. That and way too many pledge drives

Tom

Comment

• herb fellows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • New York City
                      • bt3100

I can access 4 pbs stations and none of them carry anything. There are a couple of things on 'sub channels', but Directv doesn't have sub channels.

When I could get them, the Woodsmith Shop was always a favorite. A bit hokey and totally straged certainly, but they had a lot of good basic information.
                      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Woodsmith Shop and Rough Cut are on TV. With my PS3, I also look at the weekly NYW and Wood Whisperer stuff on the Internet. I get something out of all.
                        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Minneapolis, MN
                          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I used to LOVE the Woodsmith podcasts. But "The Woodsmith Shop" TV show is terrible! Maybe it's how they have to cram it all into 20 minutes, but I think the off the cuff style of their podcasted seminars that they hold at the store is MUCH better and MUCH more entertaining.

I think I had just about all of the Wood Works episodes on my DVR, but it died a while ago and I lost it all. Too bad that DIY network stopped showing the show.

In fact, DYI's been terrible lately...

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Maybe we ought to flood TLC and DIY with emails that there are several thousands of us (And that is just on BT3) that don't like and won't watch their new 'reality' style programing and suggest that they return to the instructional/informative format that drew their audiences to start with.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by Pappy
                              Maybe we ought to flood TLC and DIY with emails that there are several thousands of us (And that is just on BT3) that don't like and won't watch their new 'reality' style programing and suggest that they return to the instructional/informative format that drew their audiences to start with.
                              I'm too busy and web stupid to get a online petition going, but I'd definitely sign that!

Comment

Working...