• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Dental Implants

I'm going through some minor periodontal treatment and it's suggested I get two implants. The treatments so far seem to be just a deep scaling between the teeth and the gums. For anyone that has gone through this type of treatment, I have a few questions.

Is it overkill to do surgical procedures like cutting the gum and doing bone treatment? Will deep cleaning be a deterrent to further degradation in lieu of the surgical stuff? I'm just wondering if the decision to do any surgical procedures is a trip to the money bank for the dentist, or is it an absolute necessity?

As for getting implants, for anyone that has received them how did they turn out? Any problems? What was the cost per implant, and cost of the cap/crown?

• bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

I've thought about implant posts for about a decade but have not pulled the trigger. My application would be in the lower jaw to secure plate. I will be following this tread for any first had experience updates. Thanks CMan for the thread.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

I have no implants, but if it is past the fourth tooth from the front I just have them pulled. Front ones, wife insists I have them filled.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

In '93 or '94, I was sent to a dentist office that had "implant" pictures all across one wall in the waiting room. The lady that sent me there was a missionary nurse that started a nursing school under the care of a hospital in Kyoto. The lady (and family friend) said that she had two implants done there. When she was back in the States, the dentist here said that she has received some of the best dental implants that he had ever seen.

I don't know what you will get, but the procedure and techniques were perfected some time ago. It should even be better now.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
          I'm going through some minor periodontal treatment and it's suggested I get two implants. The treatments so far seem to be just a deep scaling between the teeth and the gums. For anyone that has gone through this type of treatment, I have a few questions.

Is it overkill to do surgical procedures like cutting the gum and doing bone treatment? Will deep cleaning be a deterrent to further degradation in lieu of the surgical stuff? I'm just wondering if the decision to do any surgical procedures is a trip to the money bank for the dentist, or is it an absolute necessity?

As for getting implants, for anyone that has received them how did they turn out? Any problems? What was the cost per implant, and cost of the cap/crown?

While practicing dentistry (sold practice in mid 90's) I never did the actual implants but worked with oral surgeons (who did the implants) to place the prostheses. To answer your question much more info would be needed. If the treatment is MINOR perio tx then why are implants being suggested?

I only recommended implants occasionally. Surgical intervention other than implants may be called for if there is exposure of the bifucation or trifurcation of the roots of the molars, for instance, assuming that the situation does not call for extractions. As far as the success rate of implants; it was very high in the mid 90's and I am sure that it is even better now. But again, many things have to taken into consideration such as the overall health of the patient and the ability and interest of the patient in maintaining his oral hygiene. I don't think there really is an easy answer.
          Richard

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by bigstick509
            I've thought about implant posts for about a decade but have not pulled the trigger. My application would be in the lower jaw to secure plate. I will be following this tread for any first had experience updates. Thanks CMan for the thread.
            One of those situations where implants may be beneficial.
            Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
              While practicing dentistry (sold practice in mid 90's) I never did the actual implants but worked with oral surgeons (who did the implants) to place the prostheses. To answer your question much more info would be needed. If the treatment is MINOR perio tx then why are implants being suggested?
              Basically because of missing teeth (#17 -#19 and #21), where bridgework may not be applicable. Tooth #20 is questionable whether it can be part of a bridge.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                Established Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Conway, SC.
                • BT3000

I had an implant put in 4 years ago. The cost was about $2000 for both the implant and the crown. I would not hesitate to do it again. Never a problem except as I understand it, the cost now would be closer to $3000.
                If you need the implant - get it. Then the cost in the future is zero.

Just my "tooth cents" worth.
                Conwaygolfer

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  Basically because of missing teeth (#17 -#19 and #21), where bridgework may not be applicable. Tooth #20 is questionable whether it can be part of a bridge.

In that case, an implant may be a good choice if the bony structure is such that implants are feasible. #17 is normally not replaced when doing implants (or partial dentures either for that matter). #18 and#19 would probably be good candidates. Sometimes, #20 or #21 can be problematic because of the nerve that normally emanates between #20 and #21 on the facial side of the bone. Radiographs would help to determine that and I'm sure your dentist has studied those. As for prices, when I was practicing dentistry I was charging $350 for a single crown but doubled the price for a crown on an implant because of the extra cost to me and the extra time to do it. My understanding is that the cost for a crown around here now is around $1000. Hopefully this info is helpful. Good luck.
                  Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by phrog
                    Hopefully this info is helpful. Good luck.
                    Yes it is. Thank you for your input.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by bigstick509
                      My application would be in the lower jaw to secure plate. I will be following this tread for any first had experience updates.
                      The wife had implants done back in the '80's and the removed those and replaced them with a dikfferent type in the late 90's. Her's were because of bone deteriorization in the lower jaw. Not enough bone to properly support a plate.

The posts are Titanium and the plate snaps on to them.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...